Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woofer for a 15'' Ported Sub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woofer for a 15'' Ported Sub
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:45pm
I've built folded horn subs before but now I'm looking to make a pair of compact 15 inch ported subs. With this in mind what would be a good choice of woofer, keeping in mind that I'm looking to keep costs as well as the build complexity/time down to a minimum.
And finally as for the cabinet itself would a G-Sub chopped in half and then suitably resized do the job.
Cheers
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:53pm
Or am I going down the wrong path with this build and just buy a pair of cheap peavey subs that may be as good and so be done with it?
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:15pm
have you got winisd? you could knock something up very quickly that would be much better and cheaper than peaveys. basically, it'll be a design it yourself type situation- designed around the parameters of the speaker you choose

check the newbie forum for winisd links and help (it's in a sticky at the top).
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:44pm
Browsing the drivers on Blue Aran what should I be looking out far In regards to the specs?
Cheers for the heads up on winisd, I read up on the guide and downloaded it. I then remembered  I used that very program a few years ago when I was replacing drivers in a bass guitar cab, but I'd long since forgotten about it. Seems getting the enclosure design sorted once I pick the speakers wont be to much of a pain.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:47pm
depends on how big you want the box to be basically spend a couple of oruhs messing around on win isd with all the drivers in your price bracket and overlay the response curves see what takes your fancy, don't buy peaveys they sound sh*te especially the cheap ones
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:16pm
Well after messing around on Winisd, I think a Kappalight 3015LF seems to give the best performance that is just in my price range.

I modeled it in a 120l box tuned to 43HZ. Now since size is a fair consideration will two of these with there 3db dropoff at 46Hz do a the job for live and recored music reproduction for upto 150 people, and how will it differ to that cheapo Peavey Sub (more volume, low end?). 
hifiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:32pm
 From what i have read, peavey subs start rolling off at ~50hz. They have sensitivities from 95 to 98 db @1w1m for a single 18" so generally, you should be able to get similar or better performance by building your own. 
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:48pm
Kappas

www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 12:06am
Ok, decided on  the driver, if I build it to look similar in size and shape to a Martin aduio s15, which 3/4" or 1/2" Baltic birch ply how much bracing do i need.

Is one brace connected both sides and to the back panel enough?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 1:27am
Build the cab, then tap on the sides and listen.  If it sounds solid then you're fine, otherwise keep adding braces til you're happy that non of the panels have significant resonances.

Martin S15 is a good cab to base your design on.

I would probably go with the Kappa Pro LF-2 from that price range.  If you can pay a little more the P-Audio Challengers might be an option too.

My personal preference for single 15" cabs is around 100L volume and 45Hz tuning.  I used to use the ordinary Kappa 15LF in that type of cab for a while which worked pretty well.

DJblackwidow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJblackwidow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:32pm
The way I look at Peavey, they are cheap, don't sound the best, dont go near as low or hit as hard as other brands, BUT they will take the abuse (Black Widows and higher of course) and they will perform night after night. I still have Black Widows (1801-8's) from the 80's that i'm still using and they work just like new. They are cheap but reliable, they would be good for kicks, but not for folded horns. Believe me, I can really thump on mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply