Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speakon NL4FX - a step backwards?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 7:58am
I've only ever used the NL4FX until tonight, where I made up a cable with NL4FC ends.

My impression of the NL4FCs: Wires seem to go in easier, however Neutrik could have at least identified the terminal poles like the Fxs. Trying to decipher which plastic tit on the connector corresponds with the crappy image on the plastic bag is of little help. I think I prefer the FXs, which have the pole numbers and polarity marked on the connector.

Regarding the solder vs crimp vs fidelity issue: I would wager money in a double blind listening tests, nobody could hear the difference; and in my opinion, solder is a more reliable, robust, permanent, low resistance connection. Except I don't think the higher heat involved for solders with silver content would be good for the plastic insulation of the speakon connectors.

Skin effect doesn't become a significant consideration until you start trying to pass radio frequencies down the cable.
http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/understanding-skin-effect-and-frequency.cfm

Edited by byacey - 19 June 2016 at 11:21pm
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2023 at 9:28am
Not much going on in this very lively forum back in a day , so gonna dig up so old stuff and try to resurrect some good stuff
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2023 at 12:12pm
We need Rog and Timmy back.

lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2023 at 12:20pm
Rog enjoy well deserved retirement in Canaries , but anyone got feeling that this forum is slowly dying
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2023 at 1:55pm
Im sure NL4FC has the number and polarity on the black plastic by each terminal...
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2023 at 1:58pm
Also, I liked the old skool black and white cable grips for different diameter outers. The newer versions won't grab a classic figure 8 cable like 105 strand.
tehuti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tehuti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2023 at 6:01am
The new nl4fxx is amazing though.  
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2023 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by tehuti tehuti wrote:

Yes really like these been making cables with them last week. Good improvements. 

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2023 at 12:06am
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

Originally posted by tehuti tehuti wrote:

Yes really like these been making cables with them last week. Good improvements. 

How are they with 4mm?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345