Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

noob questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideload37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: noob questions
    Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:34pm
hi all :)
I'm currently in the planning stages of my first build, and the hd 15's have caught my eye.
i have a few questions which i hope i can get some input on, firstly i was wondering if it would be possible/a good idea to make an 18 inch version using pd 186's the reason for this is the hd 15's design is compact and ATM I'm preferring it over the larger horns, and secondly laminating the ply for the horn i have seen the odd bit of info on this but nothing Major wot is the best way to achieve it.
I'm comfortable with wood working as i build set for a theater looking for a challenge for a new venture, any help or criticism is welcome looking forward to replies :)
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:44pm
hd15 is what is known as a bandpass horn which is why it can be so compact, if you want an 18" version presumably to get a bit more bottom end then try an 18" bandpass horn like the es18 bph or the usb.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 4:02pm
Do remember that, although compact, all the above BPHs (bandpass horns) need subs to augment them if you have music driven by a force other than the kick drum. A good example is the  18" bandpass cab also on this site, the X1.

Remember Hoffman's Iron law, you can't get a loud, low and compact box all in one. You have to make compromises (There is a formula to this statement, but I don't generally pay attention to it).

If you port the HD15s or another BPH, you will be able to get away without subs for some types of music (basically turning the back chamber into a bass reflex box...), although this is a bit advanced and there isn't a set of complete plans with dimensions anywhere for this type of thing (Jake Fielder has drawn one up with mouth areas and volumes that you can work out a box for)

If you're uncomfortable with the HD15's curve curve, a sectional curve like the 5-part one posted somewhere will work.
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply