Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My most demanding project has started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

deadbeat is right, you have thrown him by saying "FULLRANGE"

you want to use it as a mid-hi driver is what you should have said

just read today that F1 have just brought out a new model cabinet that uses a bass driver and a 5'' driver that does exactly what you want it too.

If I remember rightly it was 40hz to 15k cab. axe head fitted to the 5''

is this the route your taking?

im going to probably be going along the lines of the TD1 unity horn, but the 12" and compression driver will be disregarded.  so there will be 4x 5" drivers at the throat.   i originally wanted to use a single driver to acheive what im gonna need 4 drivers to do.  i imagine some type of axe head will be employed, but until i work out how the drivers/phase plugs and horn will be arranged im unsure. 

the plaster cast is the first step, from this i will be soft tooling in some workable resin blanks which can be roughly worked with a scalpel.  i will then have the best performer cast in a harder resin which can be sanded and filed to a finished piece ready for soft tooling eight pieces for use in the pair of horns. 
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 7:17am
An idea would be to have the plug inside the section between the cone and the hole, and draw it out on paper to reduce path length differences. Would be a bit like Grame's Alpha 6 phase plug, only you would only see the tip of it in the holes at the back of the horn. Can't see how an axehead would work in the big horn itself, could you kindly explain?

Have a look at Danley's whitepaper, the TD1 is his early work, and you can see it evolve from those all the way through the yorkvilles to his present Synergy horns (in which everything is in the horn). The conical horn also means less higher order modes than other designs, apparently.
Away on extended leave.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Can't see how an axehead would work in the big horn itself, could you kindly explain?

i believe if i can somehow arrange the components in a way that a axhead phaseplug is required, the components and each driver phaseplug will be working as one. -as if it was the single 5" cone used in the res1.5 for example.  chances are, if going along the lines of the td1 works well, an axe will not be required.  been looking at the works on the yorkville unity too but conical might be a little harder to construct.  ill look into the synergy.

cheers
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 11:23am
Sounds like a plan.

BTW, the Yorkville cabs are wider versions of the TD1s really, I was referring to conical as an expansion type.

I've got a file somewhere written by a friend that delves quite deep into the Unity/Synergy/TD1 concept and execution. I'll try to upload it later tonight for your perusal.
File's gone missing.

EDIT:
I know who would be able to help you a lot with your enquiries....Tom Danley. He frequents diyaudio.com (they're very down with the concept of building HF horns) and PSW; and obviously being the original designer, would be able to give very astute observations on the matter of your project and design regarding the Unity concept (all of them are the same, really). It would be a very good idea to contact him.

Edited by Deadbeat - 16 July 2008 at 5:46pm
Away on extended leave.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 4:10am
Getting the required bandwidth from a cone driver on a horn is going to be hard enough, but combining four such drivers into one horn may prove impossible.  While the F1 boxes can achieve a very high crossover point for an 8", it would be as much a function of the driver specs as the geometry.  A driver rising frequency response is certainly required for this, but whether the driver is up to the task, and whether you can optimise the thoat geometry to achieve your bandwidth would remain to be seen.  In order to load the driver at higher frquencies, your horn would need a faster initail expansion rate (a slow expansion rate at the start will harm the HF response), which brings with it many physical difficulties, especially when combining drivers.  I have managed to sucessfully combine two 6" drivers on one horn by arranging the phase-plugged throat sections to enter the horn as closely spaced cross-firing vertical slots, but even this is only good to about 3.5kHz - how you would combine four drivers with greater bandwidth I don't know.

As far as I know, the size and placement of the mid throat holes in the Unity is very critical for summation, and does not allow for a high crossover point anyway.  I don't think this technique will be of any use for the bandwidth you want.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 4:24am
Exactly, F1 design the horn and the driver as a whole package, when their horn design advances, they get the driver manufacturers to keep up.

It is my belief that you would need a 1" to fill out the Unity at the top end, and the Unity concept does not allow for a phase plug to be placed in it directly, as this throws the concept around. Besides, the following versions of the Unity concept have ended up in Tom adding more drivers in, so he doesn't need a reflex underneath like his earlier cabs.

Graeme's solutions are elegant, and it would do you good to listen to his advice and see his webpage, I think he has similar goals to you (getting a paper cone up as high as possible).

I wish you luck.
Away on extended leave.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

im not using the jordan as a 'mid' driver.  im using it as a full range driver, but high passing it at 250hz.  seeing as it will not be used in the bass frequencies, your talk about ebp etc goes pretty much out the window.  before tom danley designed the lab 12, most people would have moaned about the specs and said it didnt suit a horn loaded cabinet.

Hehe.Rich knows enough to be dangerous. If your starting with a mud motor,low fs and high Qts its not such an ideal start.

I think you need to aquaint yourself with whatl happen at the top end Fhm=2(Fs)/Qts
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=114759&highlight=fhm&r=&session=

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=46331&highlight=fhm&r=&session=

Good luck with project.
tkila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 8:37am
you have a really big task here ,the driver specs are the ones to dominate ,being in a world of high efficiency pro drivers  its sometimes hard to accept this kind of aproaches ,i myself had done some experiments ,but i haven't dare to go to the phase plug arena.

good luck speaker builders
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 3:06pm
Rich! this may interest you.

just was on the phone to a friend with jordan tls, apparently one main factor in their extended HF response is that the jordan people have managed to manipulate the flexing of the driver much like the Manger planar drivers. taking advantage of non-pistonic motion.
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123