Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compression driver as a phase plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 12:36pm
Word. Thats what I'm thinking!

Just did some research into who makes horns with a depth great enough to do this with a decent low cutoff. P-Audio seem to have some which are 10" or more deep which should be plenty with the compression driver in place that should put the back of the phase plug about 1ft from the front.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 5:17pm
P-Audio H-2723, then use a 1-1/2" driver with adaptor to pick up another 4-1/4" of depth, bringing it up to 14".
djk
centralbeatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centralbeatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:10am
anyone heard any of the tannoys in that particular series in action, very good looking cab indeed, but looks ain't everything
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 11:49am
community use a comp driver in their sls920 - the bottom 8" has a phase plug attached to the pole piece, the upper 8" has the 1" on a small flare mounted just in front.

the rounded back of the driver, combined with a special flare where the outside is shaped to act as a phase plug, and the inside shaped to give a 65 x 50 deg flare.
the 2" upper mid is mounted on top of the twin 8" flare

ill take some pics when i get the chance
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 12:29pm
I just remembered that this is used also in the EAW KF. It has a 10 on a radial phase plug, then a conical piece, then the compression driver, then the compression driver horn.

They have a patent clearly showing this, it can be found in my patent thread (I can't remember the link).

Away on extended leave.
cclark65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cclark65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 6:08pm
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, just browsing around a bit, maybe can provide some insight to a couple of things mentioned here.

I have often thought about the horn/phase plug thing also. I wondered how the frequencies would get around the horn and sound right, but it seems to work. You'll need a slight delay in the horn to match it up to the woofer behind it.

I have a Dynacord XA2 system, and the tops are a 12" EV Neo driver on a conical horn (actually, it's square, but I'm guessing at these lower frequencies, they don't see the corners?) The driver is completely sealed inside what appears to be that round tubing that you would use for concrete forms, and has a gasket on the top that seals it when the back of the cabinet is in place. Heavily felt lines the back and sides of the "chamber"

The horn is mounted in the flare about 2 or 3 inches from the front edge.  It has an EV ND6 driver on the back of the CDH8040-14 horn  (which I'm guessing is an EV horn?)

el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 1:36pm
you can vaguely tell whats going on with the community sls920/rs220 here
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e194/HarfordSound/rs220s.jpg
its not an ace pic though.

Edited by el chupacabra - 20 August 2008 at 1:37pm
brumie59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brumie59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 7:26pm

I thought this might work ok and it does!,  EV DH3 and a bullit horn JBL 2402H, mounted coaxially in the 8inch mid horn.

simo69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simo69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 7:00am
what does the Tannoy iQ10-15 sound like??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12