Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folded Horn Parameters (the ultimate guide?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Oxydon Oxydon wrote:

thanks everyone especially jake_fielder you helped me a lot.
Jake can you describe a bit more your design? your dimensions seem quite small compared to that low cutoff, i would love to learn more.

You're welcome,

My design seems good on paper, but i started building the prototype yesterday so i'll soon see what it turns out like.... (it could be rubbish)

The major compromise with my design is that although i say it will drop to ~35Hz and is 103dB efficient, its only 103dB efficient from ~45 to ~130 (i think?). The idea is to boost the lowest freqs buy ~6dB to make it 103dB 1w/1m flat from 35-130.

I will be able to boost the low end because the port and rear chamber will control the cone excursion at the tuning frequency (im aiming for 37Hz ish). Whereas if you try and boost the frequencys below the horn cut off of a regular horn the driver will become unloaded and embed its self in your face...

I dunno how much you know about port tuning, horn loading etc, but if you dont understand something i have said then have a search, also you could read the FAQs on the main site.
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

ErmmLOL

Well, I notice a few different types of threads:
Intelligent discussion on new concepts and ideas for diy pro audio,
HEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND
Helping someone sort out a system (picking boxes and amps, etc)
Discussion of a commercial design
Trying to get plans for a commercial design
LOOK AT MY NEW THING
LOOK AT MY NEW THING THAT I BUILT
LOOK AT MY NEW THING THAT I DESIGNED AND BUILT
Which amps are up to LEV-STANDARD.
Random equipment failures
Comedy threads
Use the search button threads
Equipment fixes

and more

Also,

minaximal try an animated gif.

LOLLOLLOL

Very nice DB

I especially like the bit about amps being up to "LEV-standard" i.e. must be able to still operate at 10K whilst being driven over by a tank!
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 3:03pm
Bit off topic but,

mstep,

On Lev amps...

Excuse the crude nature of the drawing, also, one can replace the 'generic small map' with anything one pleases for added comedic value.

Edited by Deadbeat - 13 August 2008 at 3:04pm
Away on extended leave.
Oxydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

[
I will be able to boost the low end because the port and rear chamber will control the cone excursion at the tuning frequency (im aiming for 37Hz ish). Whereas if you try and boost the frequencys below the horn cut off of a regular horn the driver will become unloaded and embed its self in your face... 

That's exactly what i was thinking about, unfortunately you cant (without a DSP) boost from 35 to 45 without affecting the frequencies bellow 35 too, i understand you would want to go low in frequency but 103dB@45Hz is a good thing too! (this is far below the low E string of a bass guitar and suits most kick drum sounds)
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Oxydon Oxydon wrote:

103dB@45Hz is a good thing too! (this is far below the low E string of a bass guitar

Err, the low E is about 42Hz ...
Oxydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oxydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:07am
so let's say it is 102dB@42Hz? not bad! efficiency is a good thing to maintain i think.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:14am
The prototype is well underway, just one more segment of ply to add to the horn then its done... 

(and then the top, back, bottom and side panel)

(and a hole in the baffle)

(and connectors)

Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12