Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 driver ideas + questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 driver ideas + questions
    Posted: 21 August 2008 at 3:27pm
I'm trying to save money on the compression driver, so I've substituted the 740N for a BM-D450 and I'm sticking with the two SN12MB's in each cab.

What difference will this make?

The P-Audio website specifies a "reference horn" - what is this?  And what's the general idea with choosing a horn anyway?

If I make them passive and put a crossover in, does that mean that each cab will be 2.6ohms impedance?  Also, what sort of crossover point should I go for?

Thanks
Phil

Edited by Phil.2008 - 21 August 2008 at 3:27pm
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 3:46pm
The reference horn is the one they presumably took polars and other measurements on.

Assuming we are all talking about constant directivity horns (pretty much every modern one...).
You choose a horn based on the compression driver's exit (1", 2", 1.4"), and the dispersion angle needed. Sound quality then comes into play. A good driver can be ruined by a crap sounding horn and a bad driver made acceptable by an excellent one. To further complicate matters, some people use adapters to fit smaller drivers on larger horns and vice versa. This is the case on the X12. What compression driver you go for depends on your budget and the wanted xover point - (mass generalization) 1" comps can't go low, 2" comps can't go high, and 1.4" comps can be awkward. But it is all application specific really.

In the case of the passive crossover, I am not sure what calculation you did to get that impedance.

As a failsafe, I have posted this excellent introduction to the art of passive crossover design. Keep in mind there are several other approaches, these are discussed on the site linked (see 'articles') but there's lots of opinion involved at the high end of passive crossover design, so google is your friend.
http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm

Personally, I would Bi-amp these, since you use reflex subs, and the xover you buy will probably do 3-way stereo, it is well worth the benefits. And smallhigh quality amps for the comps are easily found for good money.

EDIT for quick advice:

There are a whole load of horn + comp combos, state your budget and your dispersion angle.

Cheaper drivers (unless you are heavily constrained) are a false economy in the long run.

Best cheap 1" I can think of is the Celestion CDX-1745

Edited by Deadbeat - 21 August 2008 at 3:48pm
Away on extended leave.
Phil.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 4:04pm
yep I think 3-way is the way to go - taking the crossovers out of the equation makes the 3rd amp even cheaper as well as the efficiency benefits gained (and the rack looks better :)

re. the impedance - I did:

1/r = 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8

is that the wrong equation?

Horns... hmm a lot to think about then, guess I'll do some further reading first.  Curiously, I noticed here that the Selenuim horn in the X12 spec is described as a "conical, narrow dispersion exponential horn for long throw monitor and P.A enclosures" but I thought the X12 was for near-to-medium applications?

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 4:13pm
Try to do some extra reading tonight on passives, it's a very useful section of audio to be knowledgeable (well, mandatory in some cases)

Take manufacturer's notes pertaining to the 'throw' of anything with a bag of salt.

I forgot one thing in my paragraph.

When you pick a horn, you also keep in mind your wanted xover. Basic horn theory stipulates that you have to have sufficient mouth size and length to get to a certain cutoff. Which is why you can't cross, for example, B&C ME10s low at all.

Also think of the dispersion vs spl. Replace the comp with a lightbulb and the horn with panels of that exact dispersion. The energy has to cover that specific section of a sphere. The smaller the section, the smaller the dispersion of the panels and the more concentrated the light is. This concentration allows manufacturers to claim 'long throw' status through some hidden means.
Away on extended leave.
Phil.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 7:59am
yep I'm gonna read that article on horns - got it printed off for some coffee table reading!

Is that impedance calculation wrong or right though?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 8:34am
The linked article is actually about passive crossover design.

It may have looked like I was avoiding the question...

that calculation would be correct for 3 8ohm drivers all run across an amplifier in parallel,

however when you design a passive crossover, it's good practice to take impedance measurements on your drivers, this is explained in the article, along with more stuff.

Happy reading!
Away on extended leave.
Phil.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 9:09am
Sorry I was referring to this article http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12967 - getting my links confused.

I'm gonna go with 3-way active I think so I think I'll leave passive crossover design for a rainy day...
Phil.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 10:44am
That Celestion driver sounds good - good price.  Regarding dispersion - I don't know really.  I read through that article on horns and it was pretty interesting but I'm still not sure how to match a horn to a driver, the main point I took from it was that you have to have the horn extend right out to flat with the front baffle to avoid reflected waves from the mouth which cause honkiness. 

Seeing as the X12's cone drivers are flush mounted, should I be going for a wide-angle dispersion with the top horn?  That would seem logical.  The idea is that people are standing fairly close/next to the speakers.

Also will that 75w/110dB sensitive celestion driver be loud enough to go with, say, two P-Audio SN12-MB's (200w/100dB)?

Edited by Phil.2008 - 29 August 2008 at 10:44am
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 4:40pm
The 12" driver will start to beam with increasing frequency. Ideally you need a horn which matches the beamwidth of the 12" at the crossover point.

This raises another problem though: the beamwidth stated for a horn may not be acheived at a low enough frequency, it depends on the size of the horn (assuming you are looking at constant directivity horns.)

Kieran

Blahblahblah
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 5:06pm
True. A rough guide is that at 1200hz, a lot of 12" drivers will have their dispersion angles at around 90 degrees, which is why that's a sort of 'magic number'.

Manufacturers should provide polars of their horns as well as beamwidth charts, check them out on the spec sheets.
You want the directionality of the loudspeaker at HF to be as uniform as possible.

I would recommend the 18sound XT series as a good bunch of horns, note the mouth termination and elliptical shape, etc.

PS

try experimenting with an MTM positioning of the drivers, horn in the middle, drivers on either side.
Away on extended leave.
Phil.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 6:56pm
OK I'm gonna go off and look at the beamwidth at the crossover frequency and see if I can work out how something could match.

MTM positioning is pretty much out as I want the HF driver to be as high as possible (see post in newbie section).

What about that celestion driver being powerful enough to match up to the SN12MB's though?

Thanks

Edited by Phil.2008 - 04 September 2008 at 1:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply