Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low end cut off when combining horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low end cut off when combining horns
    Posted: 29 May 2005 at 8:48pm
I realise you can lower the f3 of horns when they are coupled, but given  that the f3 of the 186 and 1850 is about 50Hz, what would the cut off be when used in a stack of 2 or 4? or maybe even 3?

And would it make any difference about how they are stacked, for instance would 4 stacked on their long side in 2 rows of 2 perform the same as 1 row of 4?

Finally, if putting them in a row on thier shorter side, is it better to have the flat side of the horn on the the floor (so the driver inside is at the top) - or the curved side to the floor?
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 2:56pm

From what I understand the target cutoff of the horn is determined by the horn path length not the mouth area as i once thought. Adding multiple units doesnt make the horn length any longer and therefore doesnt lower the cutoff point.

I would guess that rog designed the length of the 1850 horn to go to mid 30Hz in the right size stack. The mouth area of 1 1850 horn is enough to support full loading to 50Hz. With the right number of boxes the mouth area will be large enough to support loading to the cutoff frequency determined by the path length. Adding more units after that will only increase efficiency. 

Thats how i understand it anyway if anyone has other comments feel free to correct me

Stu

All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 3:04pm
1.6m and 30Hz, not quite. If you start stacking insane numbers of cabs, loading at LF rises as a function of radiation impedance (even of a 1cm long horn, try in in hornresp), however for practical stacks one sees in real life the fc is primarily determined by effective horn length (because without huge mouths finite horns are very far from their theoretical infinite cousins and are more of a wideband resonant system with good damping). I think the FAQ sums this up fairly simply.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 3:34pm
Ahh yea hadnt read that bit of the FAQ before. Pretty helpful stuff
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2005 at 4:47pm
I had read the FAQ before starting this thread. I understand how it works, I just wanted to see if any knows what the cut off would be for 2/4 horns.
I can see how the last paragraph tells you how to calculate it, although this seems like a complex and error prone process.
I'd like to hear from anyone who knows from test and measurement rather than calculations.

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 12:18am

Originally posted by soundsystemdan soundsystemdan wrote:

I had read the FAQ before starting this thread. I understand how it works, I just wanted to see if any knows what the cut off would be for 2/4 horns.
I can see how the last paragraph tells you how to calculate it, although this seems like a complex and error prone process.
I'd like to hear from anyone who knows from test and measurement rather than calculations.

Actual measurements.See walts punisher graphs for 1/2/4boxes also.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/sbk1/ssi.htm

Post Reply Post Reply