Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I get a set of midranges?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemiMoparGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I get a set of midranges?
    Posted: 28 October 2008 at 8:08pm
I have a set of JBL 4647 woofer and JBL 2380A horn with 2445J Driver mounted on top. I bought these at a garage sale for karaoke speakers in my basement, but now I got a regular gig at a bar, and these monsters are hard to set up and put away (Much harder to put away after all the free beer from hosting.) So I did some research on some lighter speakers that will produce about the same sound, I found out that these are actually cinema application speakers. So I am considering moving my current speakers to the living room to add to my surround sound system. Was wondering if I should get a pair of 8"-12" for midranges and build a box around them and stack them on the 4647's and build a box for the 2380/2445 and stack on top the mids. Or if I should seperate them around the room somehow. Right now I have some Infinity speakers for the Fronts which I have always had lots of faith in Infinity products, had a lot of cars with the Infinity sound system, etc, but these sound crappy. But they are a friends and I was borrowing them while he didn't have space for them, but he is ready fo them back, so I need something in the living room anyway. The rears are just some crappy Sony speakers that came with a "bookshelf CD/Tape/Receiver" which I am currently using as the surround sound amp, which does suprisingly well for what it is, but obviously if I get much better speakers, I will have to get a better receiver as well. Anyway, any suggestions are welcome, and appreciated.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 6:24am
Old cinema speakers founded today's PA speakers.

Lansing heritage Wink
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7480

If I were you, I'd also get rid of the centre if you have one (use a virtual one - centres are horrible, especially the horizontal MTMs!).
Away on extended leave.
HemiMoparGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemiMoparGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 4:35pm
How do youset up a virtual center channel?  what should I use as a surround sound receiver?  Do they make them without the built in amp, so I can run preamp to dedicated amplifiers for my speakers?
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 8:16pm
Some receivers have capability for virtual centres, others don't. You can even find 'trisonic imagers' which just do that LOL.

A receiver has built in amps and pres - it takes in line level and outputs speaker level. They differ in features, obviously - and you can find those which you can bypass the inbuilt amps, instead using just pres.

A surround sound preamplifier (or whatever the company decides to call it) is the same thing, only without power amps - and as with hifi, seperates is higher end. I have a few of these in the junk pile - my favourite is the old but going strong 'Meridian' which sits permanently in my house. I also have a Nakamichi and a Sony.

Alternatively, you can have a multichannel sound card on a computer, and use software to route the audio whatever way you want (the possibilities are almost endless) - very elegant.

Edited by Deadbeat - 01 November 2008 at 8:23pm
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply