Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

club install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: club install
    Posted: 27 June 2005 at 6:11pm

The 1850clones, mt102s+phaseplugs got their deserved punishment over the last two weekends & apart from having to glue all the dustcaps back onto the sub-800´s everything was loud & fast.  The cones are fine despite being fed a well clipping 5k´s worth of ampidge.

Its virtually impossible to keep the DJ desk still when the 1850´s have about 3+k going into them, the combo of 1850´s+mt102s can be felt in the concrete floor of the building too

I ran all the 1850´s with a 50hz cut-off on the nights (to keep low bass output as low as poss, as the local council came to measure output a few times...)  no one noticed the lack!

Once the massive stack of bills is dealt with i´ll load the ravehorn, í think the dustcap puking trick of the sub800´s has put me off that marque now.  I´m well keen to try ciare 12.00´s as a real horn loading alternative.  Is the ciare 12.00 (version2?) 1000wats AES or RMS?  Either way its cheap enough to be worth a good play with.

On the first night i used my dj program too, luckily i had the foresight to make sure the cdj´s & dj-mixer were also plugged into the mixing table as the program was not ready for the club environment , DJing with a mouse just dont do it.... doze kept stalling too for some windows reason..  I ended up using the dj program to mix a little & then usually mixed over to the dj-mixer on the table , should have plugged the pc into the dj-mixer in hindsight, but didnt have the cables  handy

cheers

Rob

Edited by roborg
What I cannot create, I do not understand
rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 8:37pm
Hah, thats what I said 

Are you using separate outputs per player process or mixing them in software? I found mixing two separate mp3 streams using fourier would cause things to stall (and this on linux) but just have one player (process) per output (soundcard) and a hardware mixer and things seemed to come together, that also meant foregoing the beat matching and pitch shifting too. I suppose I could have tried a faster processor, but I'm not sure it's the processor or the code that was stalling the process.

What about the infrabass Holliman design, is that in the club, or just for personal pleasure?
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 1:28pm
The proggy does all the mixing/fx etc.. in software and then outputs a final mix to one soundcard, the non-playing deck to another soundcard, a separate preview deck output & a VJ output (that is bascially the currently playing track a fraction of a second ahead of the main mix, to take care of vj latencies in the vj PC)
  So bascially 4 separate sound outs.  The biggest problem is that the software had never been used in a club environment before & when i had the lighting, sound system & the other dj to take care of the minor issues with the dj program (combined with severe sleep deficit!)became big problems, so i ended up playing cdj's+pc most of the night, resulting in some pretty bad mixes
  I'm sorting out the issues now (a very long list) and removing the reliance on the keyboard & mouse by adding external controls on a sort of jog-wheel mouse interface & a simple pc-joystick switch & slider box.  I badly want to get two vinyl decks to interface with, so kinda like a final scratch setup, but with an opto-interface on the record, rather than an audio pick-up (less processing, but less conventional...)
  I'll get some pics uploaded soonish (when i can find the battery charger for my camera....)  Theres pics of the club on a few sites (http://www.agitopiracicaba.com.br http://www.piraweb.com.br & http://www.baladabr.com  look for a club called 'loud' & sabado or inauguracao etc..  No pics of the sound system there only mug shots...
  The hollimans are purely for extra shelving space at the moment!  I'll get them in the club soon, in a smaller second room (should be good in there too.)  My sound system work ATM is to do with making sure the exisiting system stays reliable, i already destroyed 3 drivers with a stupidly low x-over setting & the bass bins puked all their dustcaps on the first night (actually they'd prolly come off before but i only noticed when i turned a cab over to get it in place & a dustcap fell out the mouth   Next fun sound work will be to get the infra horn loaded, but there are some big nasty bills to sort out first

cheers
  Rob

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 1:44pm
Don't know if it will be of any help but there's a design for an Emixer here if you scroll down the page a bit. The basic is it's just a bunch of variable resistors you hook up to your joystick port(s) and it replaces a couple of joysticks and allows you to do mixing, if you set your software up to use the joystick port.

Good luck with recouping your money.

Btw. Is it true that the Hollimans are extremely room sensitive? The comments by the guy in SA that built one was you need a sealed room with a concrete floor or else it sounds just boomy. Comments?

Edited by rastaman
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 5:30pm
ahh yeah thats what i've done, just used two pc-gameports to add 8 sliders (in fact just rotary pots ATM) and lotsa buttons
  I multiplexed one gamepad so i have 12 buttons on one joystick port (limitation is that you cant press two of thos buttons at once ) the otehr joystick has 4 buttons as usual.
  I'm playing with jog wheels too, just used the x & y axes of a mouse driven from an old 5 1/4" hard drive platter (damn smooth jog wheel feeling..., more like a rack-mount cd player than a cdj clone)

cheers,
  Rob
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 7:12pm

nice one rob! your club looks rammed in the fotos on the last link, you'v been véry busy! i cant diss a man with a horn as big as yours.

is thé cíáre plan related tó a spiral concépt by ány chance??

al

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 9:25pm
cheers man!  Last saturday was pretty crowded around the dance floor, but was a bit empty at the ends of the builidng (maybe need some fills , i smell X15's) had another DJ there playing techno & he would not back off on the DJ mixer, so the inputs to the main desk were clipped to hell, needless to say when he started people seriously backed away from the stacks .  One really funny thing was that i couldn't work out why some1 was trying to ram a bag into one of the 1850's (could only fill 1/4 of the mouth cos of the x-braces .)  The following day i was playing some stuff quietly & i noticed a horrible buzzing metallic noise from that speaker, it turned out i'd left a mirror on a piece of wire i'd used earlier to check the dust-caps were staying where they should  The racket must have been horrendous at the front of floor.
  Something is very wrong with this place though, there's not one drop of beer on the speakers , people just aint drinking enough i reckon.

cheers,
  Rob
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 9:36pm

Rob : Great to hear such a good start to an ambitious project and investment !

You said about using opto-type sensors on the decks,8 or so-is this enough precision for adjusting the record position when the tunes are at the same BPM but out of phase?

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 11:47am
thanks mike!  For the opto sensors, i was thinking of only monitoring the vinyl speed for dj input, purely for manual control of things, like final scratch.  I've just realised an opto mouse sensor mounted just above the vinyl can do that , only prob is that doze merges all mouse inputs into the main cursor, so the mouse pointer keeps moving on the screen   I don't want to have to build a complex hardware interface, simply use the exisiting input hardware.  USB mice seem OK as they update at around 125hz, fast enough to detect some scratchin accurately.
  If i didnt use an opto mouse it gets messy as fitting an opto-chopper (from a ball mouse) to the record would be a right old mess, as would aligning it..

cheers,
  Rob

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 6:19pm
Now I have seen adapters to allow a USB mouse to go into a PS/2 port and also an adaptor to allow a PS/2 mouse go into a serial port. This would say to me (without thinking too hard) there should be some relatively simple way of hooking an optical mouse to the serial port.

Then again, I'm not dealing with doze so I can address different devices separately using their device name, and not have it merge signals together.

Edited by rastaman
westsidesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:24am

Windows, stalls.

My real job is running an internet hosting company, but I have over 15+ years programming experience including windows.

Give me your system spec, if you know it.

If your PC is stalling, then it is more likely to be Memory vs. Disk speed. CPU also plays a part. If you are using P2 or P3 chip then game over really.

If you are using XP with 512mb then I would suggest you get it upgrade to 1GB+

Also some of your MP3 files could be large, so a fast disk controller would be useful as well.

If the software you use, is very CPU hungry then I would look at spending some money on a SCSI card and Disk Adaptec 2930 or a like.

This way read and writes are not stacked against a over worked CPU waiting for its turn to run but are handled by the disk controller direct making disk access very quick.

SATA drives would be my next choice with extra memory. Try to avoid IDE drives for this sort of work. Look for disks with speeds that are 10000 to 7200 rpm or better.

Also defrag your drive, to get all your files cluster together, otherwise your disk head will be going all over the disk to load MP3 files.

Hope this helps, and I am not teaching anyone to suck eggs.

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 12:06pm

The stalls are some audio system/directsound funny (the specs are asus a7n8x-e, 1G ddr400 (2x512M), athlon2100, 120gig ata133, radeon9600pro, XP ntfs, +3 generic cheapo sound cards)  The mp3 decoding stuff is fine as the dj program decodes the mp3 into a 100meg buffer,  so typically the entire mp3 is decoded b4 it starts to be played.

The problem is weird because it´s intermittent, it either happens or not, if it happens then i restart the program & 50% it doesn´t happen (audio clicks at the rate the sound sound buffers are sent to the sound cards, using multimedia subsystem not directsound) happens only when i upload smallish sound buffers to the sound cards (4k buffers, triple-buffered, with a callback to handle the soundcards request for more data.)  Its a bastard because just as the user-input latency (jogwheel tempo etc...) of the program becomes impercievable the clicking kicks in.  So at the moment i upload 8k buffers & have some latency in the controls (i think it feels about the same as a CDJ100)

I´m also using the 3d system pretty hard, thru directx, so maybe theres some conflict there,  typically the cpu is 80-99% on the dj task so the pc is being flogged too.  I´m gonna optimise the renderer so it can maintain a soild 75hz refresh, maybe that will help things....

cheers,

Rob

Post Reply Post Reply