Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woodstock Bins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodstock Bins
    Posted: 17 November 2008 at 8:00pm
Woodstock festival....

Taken form a wikipedia page.

Sound for the concert was engineered by Bill Hanley, whose innovations in the sound industry have earned him the prestigious Parnelli Award.[13] "It worked very well," he says of the event. "I built special speaker columns on the hills and had 16 loudspeaker arrays in a square platform going up to the hill on 70-foot [21 meter] towers. We set it up for 150,000 to 200,000 people. Of course, 500,000 showed up."[citation needed] ALTEC designed 4 – 15 marine ply cabinets that weighed in at half a ton a piece, stood 6 feet straight up, almost 4 feet deep & 3 feet wide. Each of these woofers carried four 15-inch JBL LANSING D140 loudspeakers. The tweeters consisted of 4x2-Cell & 2x10-Cell Altec Horns. Behind the stage were three transformers providing 2,000 amps of power.[14] For many years this system was collectively referred to as the Woodstock Bins.

Quite impressive size rig for 1969.Anyone any more info??
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 8:13pm
Bill Hanley's site has some info. Apparently these were used in South Africa later by some sound company.
Away on extended leave.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 8:57pm
Any idea of what amplification he used?
Flano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 9:03pm
All valve amplification apparently.....
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:18am
I always thought that Cerwin Vega had supplied the sound at Woodstock - just shows, you're never too old to learn something new!
Another 'What would you do..." question. If Woodstock were happening today, and you were asked to provide the sound for 500,00 people, what system(s) would you provide on a 'money-no-object' basis using only off-the-shelf products.

Edited by jazomir - 10 December 2008 at 11:00am
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
corneel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corneel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 2:21pm
HI,first of all appoligys for my bad EnglishEmbarrassed
McIntosh MC 350 was the tube-ampli used in the days of Woodstock
Now i am tryin to construct thad famous "Woodstock bin"
wide 2360 mm
high 1000 mm
deep 1220 mm
hornlenght 920 mm
Drivers 4 x 15W700 18 sound
Band 38 hz to 500 hz
If sombody have tips or good ideas,i am here
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 12:06pm
pretty curious about woodstock bin...could post the plans please?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 4:21pm
Why on earth do you want to build an awefull design of a 40 year old cabinet that will not go through a normal doorway and needs a forklift truck to move it about.
corneel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corneel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 8:58pm
Well,most of the horndesigns are born in the 1920-30.Two items are changed ,speaker &amp-power,calculations for a horn will always be the same.
For the plan,after the first bin is ready and checked
spanners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 12:32pm
''that will not go through a normal doorway and needs a forklift truck to move it about. ''

LOL
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by corneel corneel wrote:

HI,first of all appoligys for my bad EnglishEmbarrassed
McIntosh MC 350 was the tube-ampli used in the days of Woodstock
Now i am tryin to construct thad famous "Woodstock bin"
wide 2360 mm
high 1000 mm
deep 1220 mm
hornlenght 920 mm
Drivers 4 x 15W700 18 sound
Band 38 hz to 500 hz
If sombody have tips or good ideas,i am here

Can't you make four single 15" cabinets from this design?
ltaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 8:34pm
I second this I would love to produce a replica bin, I would love to have some in-depth details of the cab internals. 
 Post Reply Post Reply