Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Mounter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 Weight
    Posted: 11 July 2005 at 8:08am

May seem like an unusual question but does anybody know the approximate weight of a loaded 1850 cabinet? I'm considering a build of four and I could do to know if they can be lifted by one man.

Thanks

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 10:59am

No.

The driver on its own is hernia inducing.  Thats maybe a bit of a lie but not far from the truth.

Thats why they have castors and lots of handles on the Looneys.  If you need 1 man lifts then go for 8 HD15's which'll probably outperform the 1850's anyway.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2005 at 7:35pm

Originally posted by Daniel Mounter Daniel Mounter wrote:

I could do to know if they can be lifted by one man.

Depends on who the one man is...

You could stack four of them up.  You couldn't get one up a flight of stairs.  You might be able to get them in and out of a van depending on how high the van floor is off the ground...

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
Daniel Mounter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Mounter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:13am

Sorry, one man means anything up to about 80 kg lifting to me, we are all capable of it (just about!) Thanks for the thoughts. There's an awful lot of plywood in a finished cab, so I didn't fancy a one man lift being easy!

To Dom, have you any idea how 8 HD15's would perform for live bands, indoor or out? I noticed you said 8 went prtety flat to 42hZ, which sounds good! How is the throw on the system?

As to building 8 HD15's, that did cross my mind, but it costs more in drivers!

Cheers

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 7:49am

Quote but it costs more in drivers

Depends what you're loading with.  If you're using Void 1000 or PD1850 then you're in for 4 drivers at £200+ each = £800

8 PD154's will come in around £800 if you shop around for the deal

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2005 at 8:35pm

One man [myself] is 35kg max lifting or maybe i'm just too skinny and weak.

Edited by ToXiC
IAIN RENDLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAIN RENDLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2005 at 2:09pm
70Kg ish for the 186 + another few Kg for the 1850
-=vortex sound systems=-
www.vortexsound.co.uk
djdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 9:56pm
they are bloody heavey. my cabinet is so far unloaded and i can't lift it on my own and i can bench press 82kg quite easily!!!
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2005 at 10:02pm
Put some castors them and drag them around on the castors or use a trolley to move them.Not good if you have to go up or down some stairs though.
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 8:41pm
theres a big difference between bench pressing 80kg (or lifting a small but heavy weight) and lifting an 80kg speaker.
i can lift and walk a little with about 100kg (or at least i used too :-/ ) but theres no chance i would be able to heave an 1850 onto a stack on my own.
obviously weight is an issue with these things, but bulk and uneven load is the killer.

if you can lift a 100cm tall 80kg midtop onto a stack above your head, on your own, then you have my eternal respect

Edited by loophole - 19 December 2005 at 8:54pm
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:47pm

they should make this an event in worlds strongest man!!!

instead of the atlas stones you try and pick up and place a speaker cab on the pillars!!!

i wonder what cabs they'd use?  im guessing hd15 early on and def a 1850 at the end!!

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by loophole loophole wrote:

theres a big difference between bench pressing 80kg (or lifting a small but heavy weight) and lifting an 80kg speaker.
i can lift and walk a little with about 100kg (or at least i used too :-/ ) but theres no chance i would be able to heave an 1850 onto a stack on my own.
obviously weight is an issue with these things, but bulk and uneven load is the killer.

if you can lift a 100cm tall 80kg midtop onto a stack above your head, on your own, then you have my eternal respect

I can lift a 35kg,100cm tall midtop onto a stack at about my shoulder height;I'm 6ft 3 tall. But with some difficulties though. But when lifting that kind of weight on my own, up stairs is when I feel my spine and shoulders feels like they will snap.

Post Reply Post Reply