Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

share the pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 12:32pm

Oversound, a Brazialian manufacturer. The Oberton horn candidate doesn't have a smooth cone and has a second spider which aims to prevents such things (it has a different stiffness/excursion curve than the first)

To be fair, the speaker was pushed fairly hard on the other side of its intended operating range, so there you go. T'was happens when a DJ enters the equation without a limiter to ensure sanity and a 1/4 wave resonant system returns energy put out by the driver when it was in the gap in an unfortunate acoustic phase helping the driver beyond what the motor would allow on its own.

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 1:41pm

the drivers (oversound sub800) are basically totally bulletproof in a reflex cab, but as timber pointed out in a horn they acheive very large excursions that are purely a result of being horn loaded.  As long as the high-pass is set sensibly above resonance (for me thats 55-60hz 24db) theres no way they´ll over-excurse (maybe overheat, but then thats always a problem  when powering with alot of headroom)

The spider in the sub800 is pretty stiff & its hard work to press the cone in far enough to touch the backplate, but when the speaker is receiveing over a Kw at the 1/4 wave resonance, its another story...

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Sencesync View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 2:02am

its a worst nightmare come true haha, thats a pretty bad ouch!

i use QSC PLX amps so they already have the 30/50hz cut so its nothing really to worry about for me unless theres a falty cuirtcut...

and i really watch my output too, im trying to get some LED power meters made to read from 100-1000watt. i dont have any subwoofer/basshorns that are less then 1000watt Rms so rate thier SPL and sens. off of 750watt RMS (for the 1000watt drivers) just to be on the safe side. and i dont sell my stuff so clipping will never be a factor... only poorly built equipment.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 10:21am

Remember the 50hz setting on the QSC amps there is a slight boost at 100hz.

So you are under powering your woofers 1000w rms woofers with 750w rms??? Well underpowering doesn't always blow your speakers but leaves the amp with no headroom if you push it, vus making it clip, vus frying the speakers.

So I'd say go with at least 1500w rms into the 1000w rms woofer so when you push it you have some dynamic headroom before it clips.

Also distortion and clipping is the number 1. killer for speakers. So its better to have clean unclipped power than unpowered speakers giving the amp no headroom so it clips easily when pushed vus damaging the speakers if it clips.

Sencesync View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sencesync Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2005 at 1:15pm
i know of that already, i have 4 PLX3402 amps. all capable of powering 2 of the horns i use to 1,700watt each. but i dont let it go past 750 most of the time. unless a V18-1000 in a 58l chambered horn will handel more then 1,000watt... im just being carful is all. i really dont want to ruin a perfectly good horn, and i really dont have the cash to spare all the time

Edited by Sencesync
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12