Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X-tro Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrAAx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X-tro Question
    Posted: 31 December 2008 at 10:21am
Been looking at the drawings for these ones, and found a think that felt abit strange!

In the pictures theres a big chamber in the horn part between the upper and lower 15" driver!

The question!
Why isnt this room used as box volume for the rear chamber?
The lower chamber i can understand , it isnt that much room!

Im not good at horn designs, but mabey you can get it to go a bit lower? Or? Confused
It’s hard to make a thing idiot-proof! Because idiots are so bloody genius!
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 12:30am
My guess is that if it wasnt used,the driver doesnt require a chamber that large. The rear chamber is an air cushion which makes the biggest difference below cutoff,reducing excursion greatly.
The front chamber,and horn path length determines cutoff.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 2:36pm
In the xtro the 15" drivers fire parallel and are about the same distance from the horn mouth. I can't think of an alternative folding that would maintain this quality and still make use of the unused space you're referring to, I guess this might be part of the reason.
AndrAAx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrAAx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2009 at 10:30pm
Its not the folding! Its the volume that chamber holds, if i open it up into the chamber thats behind the 15" drivers i can incrise the volume for those drivers! But will it do any good? And what effect will it have on the overall?
It’s hard to make a thing idiot-proof! Because idiots are so bloody genius!
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:01pm
What Mike's said - if you wanted the lf extension you'd need a longer horn and larger mouth. Increasing rear chamber size isn't necessary as far as I know, you'll just weaken the baffle board.
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 4:58pm
I don't think they need to drop any lower, not considering their application: i.e ontop of something else
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 11:18am
Originally posted by AndrAAx AndrAAx wrote:

Its not the folding! Its the volume that chamber holds, if i open it up into the chamber thats behind the 15" drivers i can incrise the volume for those drivers! But will it do any good? And what effect will it have on the overall?

Such small and short horns like X-Tro, HD15, etc... are not real horns. They are a closed box design with horn assistance you might say. Or it's not wrong to say it acts as a bandpass enclosure either, the horn works as a tapered port. Designing from the bandpass route or closed box with-horn-assist will give very similar results. Anyway, the reason it won't do any good to open up the rear chambers, is that the working ( the tuning ) of either bandpass or the closed box is dependant of many parameters and volume is one of those parameters. If you change that parameter, the whole systems response will change with it, with undesirable effects like boomy or thin sound, less power capability, faster reached X-max among others.
If you want or need something that starts lower than 90Hz with the same SPL below as above 90Hz, than the X-Tro is not for you. It's form and dimensions were intended to use from 90Hz and up and work very strong from that point. Lower cut off needs will dictate the use of other ( and bigger ) cabinets, an other design, with a longer hornpath to begin with.
All parameters of speaker and cabinet are interacting in a balanced system, changing one parameter without changing the others accordingly, will never give good results.

Edited by Peter Jan - 08 February 2009 at 11:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply