Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me with delay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:58pm

X1 clipping?, don't you mean amp is clipping???

If you mean the driver makes that tapping sound on certain bass notes, then the voicecoil could be over heated or the magnet is shifted or there is particles in the magnetic gap.

If there is crud in the gap or the speaker voicecoil is damaged, get it reconed, just hope the magnet hasn't shifted or the speaker is basically trash.

I wonder if you used a high pass filter at 35hz for the X1's??? Cos if you didn't use a high pass filter at 35hz the drivers would have gone over excersion below the box tuning frequency and voice coils hit the backplate resulting in damage.

And if you clip the amp you also toast the drivers.

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 8:55am

Quote And if you clip the amp you also toast the drivers.

But not always.

The driver has more than adequate power handling but the driver is fairly unloaded in the box so if you're using no hi-pass filter you could experience overexcursion.

I'm also not sure what you mean by clipping your driver, as anything associated with amp clipping would affect both cabs if you're running them off it bridged.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Ray666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2005 at 11:58am
: i ment "c l i c k i n g" sry guys my english isnt so good
and i used the 30 hz instead of 35 does 5 hz make a difference?
btw i did run them in bridge mode and they were connected like this:
amp-positive to drivers positive poles and amp-neg to drivers neg poles.
i`m not even sure how much rms this amp gives- the manual reads 2400w @ 1khz.
i have never clipped the amp and im not going to either
i`m thinkin of lack of cooling , because i have two x1-s on eachother and maybe the upper x1 didnt got as many cool air as the one below. could this be the problem? oh and like rog told i inverted x1s in the crossover.

Edited by Ray666
ijaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 8:08am
back to delaying cabs:

the method dom/norty describe seems very nice, but will this work with scoops too? The problem I see is that crossing scoops @ let's say 125 Hz you will primarily hear the direct sound, which probably has another phase/delay compared to the sound running through the "horn".

Is that a problem (i am sure it is ... but what do you thing about this?)
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 11:19am
Scoops are a whole new ball game..!

In my experience in smaller rooms you set the delay to the driver and in bigger ( outside ) rooms you set it to the horn ! I have two marks on my x-over ( it`s an old BSS FDS360) which over the years I`ve found are the two points.

I tried measuring it but you just can`t seperate the two ( that`s why they sound like they do !)

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Ray666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2005 at 4:13am
hi. does scoops need delay ? because the scoop idea seems to be that it bounses twice!? first it hits in front and then the horn? i have worked with the scoops and they do sound better than bp6 type boxes , but the fact is that they are heavy to transport.

with scoops i tried to find the x-over point where the scoop sounded same hard as the first "attack" - it was around 80 hz with my drivers- try it out and let us know what did your scoops do @ 80Hz

and btw i didnt delayed my scoops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12