Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Worst Speaker Ever?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 1:40pm
Yeah that Nad was a great amp in its day. I considered getting one to drive my Castles, but in the end i found an old Arcam Alpha 3 which suits them pretty well. The Nad would have been a touch bright with the Castles so i probably made the right choice.  

I saw a few of those Nad amps on e-bay a while back, they go for very little money. There are also a few modified ones knocking about. I think they have improved circuitry.

WHat i find interesting about the Castle / Arcam combo i'm currently using is the incredible sensitivity of the speakers. The Arcam is approx 25 wpc and the speakers are rated at 50 watts RMS. The volume control never ever gets past volume level 4 LOL 

Lovely old things they are. 
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 2:34pm

Are they really worse than the Magnavox?

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 4:23pm
3020 and 7020 were almost exactly 30 years ago! My original 7020 should still be knocking about somewhere, if it hasn't crumbled with age.

I guess this ages everyone.

It's funny, I always classified the NAD as a 'darker' sound compared to ARCAM stuff.

Now that you all are mentioning it, I should pay another visit to my 'repository of all electrics since I bought them'.
Away on extended leave.
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 7:50am
Maybe 20 years ago, I bought 12" woofer from local car hifi store (yes, it was quite cheap).  It was marked "KENNY 300Watts", having HUGE magnet and cast frame.  Well, this gotta be the worst woofer ever.  Huge magnet means nothing, this woofer had no power at all.  BL factor propably 5 or so :D 
Some good 5 inch woofers could produce at least the same SPL. 

Oh btw, I found pictures of it:

Stay away from these! 

Today, I'm going to get JAMO professional 200 -speakers for very low price. Let's see... Big smile

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 12:19pm
The magnets are small because they're SuperUnobtaniumNeodymium and will change our orbit if you array them. Be careful.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2017 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

Thats very odd... An EV 12" Basket and Magnet (With the VC Vent blocked?!) and some very dubious looking Polyprop and rubber cone arrangement?

That magnet combined with the standard EV VC should give a BL of about 17-19 too LOL

I guess they went for a much shallower (non-existant?) VC winding in order to get more than the 3.3mm of XMAX that EV went for
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2017 at 9:10pm
Yes, it has indeed similar chassis / magnet as some 12" EV drivers.   But as we know, chinese are known for copying stuff.. so maybe they just copied the basket from EV and used a lot weaker magnet and smaller voicecoil (i think this one had tiny 1.5" VC if I remember..)

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:26am
btw, there is "pa" version of that woofer also  LOL

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:31pm
I've always been a bit confused by the "huge magnet - no power" drivers - if you were going to go to the trouble of manufacturing and shipping such a huge piece of ferrite, why wouldn't you hit it harder with the magnetiser? How much power does one of those machines use? Seems like a strange thing to economise on, to me.....
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 9:48am

The whole “Huge Magnet, Big Bass” is a marketing ploy from the 1980’s. As many bought loudspeakers solely on the size of the magnet, smaller manufactures put emphasis on large magnets and disregarded everything else pertaining to the TS – Parameters in order to gain sales.

One can look at it as Lab Gruppen copies which, offers the aesthetics of a Lab Gruppen. Surely, the performance will never match the level of a genuine Lab Gruppen amplifier however, many continue to buy the copy for the clone resembles a highly respected professional amplifier.

Best Regards,    

Elliot Thompson
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 11:20am
Realistic mach 2 :) got them for peanuts when I first moved to Australia !

It's a 3 way large hifi cab , decent box , 15 " reflex woofer, little sealed mid , and a slot tweeter .. plenty of spl for what they are and sound ok ..

WAIT *** THIS IS A WORST SPEAKERS EVER THREAD LOL

Got a little carried away with people getting excited over the jamos :D

Actually think some of the cheap little two way pa cabs that are in abundance , from the likes of maplins etc or a pair of sexy looking elisis plastic cabs I had , are really quite terrible , just no thought or care into how they actually sound unfortunately !
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I've always been a bit confused by the "huge magnet - no power" drivers - if you were going to go to the trouble of manufacturing and shipping such a huge piece of ferrite, why wouldn't you hit it harder with the magnetiser? How much power does one of those machines use? Seems like a strange thing to economise on, to me.....

I have no idea, but I have been "playing" with ferrite magnets and there are indeed lots of strength variations. 
When it comes to speakers, as someone said, motor strength is not only about magnet. Voicecoil design, airgap thickness etc. plays a big role there too. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345