Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Drive Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Drive Help
    Posted: 28 January 2009 at 6:38pm
Hi guys, I have a SATA 300Gb hard drive. Never dropped, never badly handled, always was in a stable place, never moved around, just stopped working.
After examining it, i found that it had a burnt chip. Took the logic board out, replaced it with a brand new once (exact one).

OuchBooted it up, and now its making this noise. http://www.djstefanos.com/hardrive.mp3 (obviously doesn't show up on MyComputer)

Link:

any ideas?
thank

Edited by djstefanos - 29 January 2009 at 4:00am
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 6:53pm
This very rarely works, Fujitsu had thousands of failures because of a Cirrus Logic chip. Many people tried this and it didn't work. ALL the data rescue firms say dont do it.
 Does the drive show in bios or device manager? If not your stuffed. If it does, go to administrive toools, computer managment, disk managment, if it's there but not showing a file system something like Acronis Disk Director may just fluke undeleting a partition. I say Acronis because its around the Net ;) There are many better recovery tools.
 Anyhow, if it aint in device mgr or indeed the bios settings you may as well call it a day unless you send it to a data rescue centre. ££££££
 I should add I have not listened to the noise as the link doesn't work. If it is an abnormal noise then the controller is sending the wrong info to the heads making it either crash or hunt around like mad.
 What make was the drive?
It's everything, not everythink!
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 7:03pm
Its a Maxtor
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 8:11pm
I'd have put money on that. The new Maxtors are Seagate, old ones a bloody nightmare.
 Diamond Max 9 or 10?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 12:17am
Its a Maxtor Maxline 3
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 1:43am
Insufficient information.  Just stopped working doesn't tell us anything.  Did it suddenly fail when you were using the computer?  Is this an internal or external drive, and if external how is it connected?  Was there a BSOD  screen message when it failed? What computer is it?  Was there any error message when you tried to reboot, and what was it?  Does the computer even begin to start up now, or is it totally dead?  Why did you suspect the hard drive?  Why did you replace the logic board, and from which model did it come from?  How can you be sure the replacement board was good, why not just replace the drive with a known good one and restore from backup?

There has to be a good reason why it failed, 'cos from my experience Maxtor's are indestructible (though I accept that early SATA's had problems, but this is a newer model!)

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200410/200410087B300S0-2_1.html

Please tell us more, I'm sure we can help.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 10:11am
At least 12 Maxtors on my bench last year, all knackered! One WD, No Samsung.
 The info was pretty comprehensive, "Burnt out chip on board".
  "Doesn't show up in My Computer"
The controler chip burnt out, or one of them anyhow, he changed the board.
 Maxtor are no more, Seagate now own them and more or less use the name as budget here in UK now. Plus 9/10s Serial ATA or IDE are the third most unreliable drive I've seen in fifteen years. IBM Deathstar and formentioned Cirrus chipped Fujitsu being worst but they were a while ago. Hitachi still seem inconsistant.
 Anyhow, if anybody else can help recovering the data I'll stand corrected with pleasure.
 Regards to all.
 Nick
Rick C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 10:30pm
You get a 3 year warranty on the Maxtor's get it replaced for free!
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 1:50am
iv had 2 do the same thing Unhappy 
i intraduced them both to the bin Tongue
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 2:19am
I'll never introduce mine to the bin. not with 237Gb of music!!!!!
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 6:30am
the thing is if u change the board theres different firmwares and stuff it may look the same but it may not be
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
 Post Reply Post Reply