Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mt122

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mt122
    Posted: 07 August 2005 at 12:56pm
can anyone give me some advice on how best to wire up 2 12" 16 ohm with 1 2" 8 ohm compresion driver....would it b cool to wire it all in paralell for a 4 ohm load...thanx
rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 3:52pm
No.

You'd buy a crossover suitable for 8 ohm loads, wire the 2 12's in parallel for an 8 ohm load on the low side, and the 8 ohm compression driver on it's own for an 8 ohm load on the high side.
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 7:05pm
You need to run an MT122 active.  You should be looking at powering the twelves with about 1200W between them.  You're not going to get a passive crossover that can handle 1200W.
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
al23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 11:47am

Sorry guys,didnt make myself very clear...I built 4 mt122s which are powered by 2 network 3s...all the 12s are 16 ohm and are on channel A and the 4 compresion drivers are 8 ohm on channel B, the cross over was set by Rog...what I was wondering was if I set all the speakers up in paralell would this work for a 4 ohm load...or if I wired the 12s in paralell and then 2 cabinets in series would I then get an 8 ohm load? Could really do with your advice cause at the mo I am a bit lost to say the least! thanx

rastaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rastaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 1:51pm
Well you can't run the highs and lows from the same channel, for sure. I guess it all depends on whats the best configurations for the amps you have.

I'm a little baffled on your impedances. Are you saying all the cabs connected together give a 16 ohm load, or all the 12" drivers are 16 ohms each. If I assume the latter, you have 4 cabs with 2 16ohm 12" drivers and 1 8ohm compression driver. For the sake of argument, say you want to run in stereo, and your amps handle a 4 ohm load (unbridged).

You have the 12"s in each cab wired in parallel, they present an 8 ohm load, you have an 8 ohm load in the compression driver already.

One amp is your low amp, one amp is your high amp, you hook 2 cabs (low) in parallel to one channel of the amp, and the other 2 cabs (low) into the other channel, you now have your lows running of one amp. Repeat this for the highs, 2 cabs in parallel and 2 cabs in parallel an you have your highs.

Or, are you asking if 4 (cabs) x 2 (drivers) 16 ohm drivers are presenting a 4 ohm load if all are wired in parallel, the answer is no. 1 cab with 2 drivers in parallel is 8 ohms, 4 8 ohm loads in parallel is 2 ohms. With 8 16ohm drivers I can't think of any configuration that will give you 4 ohms. If you wire the drivers in each cab in series, thast 32 ohms, 4 32 ohm loads in parallel is 8 ohms, if you keep the drivers in parallel and wire two cabs in series, in paralell with the other 2 cabs, you get 8 + 8 in parallel with 8 + 8 = 8ohms again. So it's 2 ohms, 8 ohms or 2 4 ohm loads seems to be your best configurations.

Hope that helps.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 2:04pm

Don't forget there's 2 amps.

So 1 amp per 2 boxes works out about right.

4 12" drivers in parallel gives 4ohms total load off one side

2 Comp drivers in parallel gives 4ohms total load off the other side.

Dunno how much the Network 3 gives per side but i suspect it might not be enough for the 12" drivers, or too much for the compression drivers in which case use a good limiter

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
al23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 6:37am

Thanks guys, thats helped me alot...I dont have the specs for the network 3s on me now and thier not on the Void acoustic site anymore but will post them asap, see what you think, it would be nice to know if I would need a limiter or not, at a guess I think on a 4 ohm load they are about 1300w per channel if I can remember rightly. Nice 1 for all the info...

Post Reply Post Reply