Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 weight for flying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btgreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT121 weight for flying
    Posted: 04 February 2009 at 8:58pm
Looking to fly the mt121, not been built yet

Does anyone know the weight loaded or unloaded? 

cheers
greg
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 10:33pm
no replies for a few days, so i'll just say although i've never put them on scales, with pd123er drivers fitted they come in at around the 50kg margin, or there abouts.
odd centre of balance so flying them might be a bit awkward.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 11:20pm
dont forget they you will need to provide additional support to cabinet joins to spread the load presented by the weight of the  cab - it is not acceptable to rely on the pannel joints alone if the weight of the cab, and possibly subsequent cabs is passing throught joints

this is usually done by internal metalwork, and should be engineered and designed to be able to carry at least 6 times the weight to be hung.

This is a complex area with many potential issues, so tread carefully
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 12:25am
flying DIY cabs is a big no-no!! need properly designed flywear fixed to the correct points of the cabinet to make them safe. If using your own flying hardware, then that too much be destruction tested by an engineering firm and to do so costs mega money. Be much better off - safety and cost - just to go buy some decent used cabs similar.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 12:43am
I wouldn't say you can't fly DIY cabs but I guess it's like electrical stuff where if you need to ask how to do it, you shouldn't be considering it!
btgreg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btgreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 9:22am

I only asked the weight of a finshed cab for some draft calculations, not how to fly

Some very interesting points discussed here... thanks

What I'm actually looking at is a skeletal version of the MT121 for flying

This will reduce weight and also all the cab related issues when flying

Thanks for all your input guys.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 2:41pm
if you mount the horns in a welded frame made out of steel box section you should have absolutely no problems with safe flying.

I would be more concerned if you are intending to use aluminium but this is not to say it can't be done properly.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
nojunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nojunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:38am
@all:
any1 seen a d&b q1/7/10 open?  there is no internal framing for horns etc Shocked
...and you can hang up to 3 units on the standart flying point (on top of every q housing) with their Z5156 adapter...  go figure!
 Post Reply Post Reply