Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FAO IT CREW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FAO IT CREW
    Posted: 05 February 2009 at 5:24pm
Basically, i wanna run XP PRO on my vista laptop but i also wanna upgrade my HDD, so here are my questions.

1) Is there a limit on the size of HDD i can install?

2) if i buy a HDD and an enclosure for it can i plug the HDD in via USB run the disc and install it on the "external" HDD?

3) If yes to 2 can i boot from this drive and install the nessacary drivers for my laptop and then just install the HDD and off i go?

Cheers
in front of the bass bins baby
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 6:05pm
1. Pre service pack one XP had a 127gb limit. Install SP1 or above and you have no size restrictions with a modern machine.
2/3. No, XP will need to be installed on the chipset it's going to work on. To explain, forgetting the external drive, if you take an XP install from an Intel Chipset and Stuff it on an NVida one it will invariably fail. I'ts not like 98. HAL etc.
I'm not sure your laptop bios would even let you boot from an external USB HDD into an O/S, but even if it did when you put the drive back in the PC it would be on a completly different HDD controller and have a hissy fit.

MAKE SURE all the XP drivers are available. Buy a new hard drive, put it in your laptop, Install XP. Install drivers. Keep the old HDD for a while to make sure you don't want to go back. If your OK, get an external caddy, put your old drive in and use for storage/copy docs from it. DONT try to copy programs accross, re-install.
 Mods, this should be in Computer section.
It's everything, not everythink!
justamadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 6:35pm
so just slap in new hdd then intall xp?

surely the lack of drivers, eg keyboard and touchpad will mean i can'y use these things untill i find a way to install these drivers?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 7:35pm
It's good that you are cautious ;)
 All operating systems have generic drivers for Keyboard/Mouse/Display. It will work, graphics will look funny until you install drivers, keyboard & mouse will work fine.

Go for it.

Edited by nickyburnell - 05 February 2009 at 7:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

2/3. No, XP will need to be installed on the chipset it's going to work on. To explain, forgetting the external drive, if you take an XP install from an Intel Chipset and Stuff it on an NVida one it will invariably fail. I'ts not like 98. HAL etc.

I'm confused, won't it be on the same chipset if i install it to the HDD via my visat laptop, (EG  plug in drive, run XP install, select the External drive as the disk to install on and then download drivers and select that drive to install then insert it into the laptop)

I'm not sure your laptop bios would even let you boot from an external USB HDD into an O/S, but even if it did when you put the drive back in the PC it would be on a completly different HDD controller and have a hissy fit.

I somehow managed to install 2 copies of XP on the same partition of the HDD on my last laptop it would allow me to boot from either install.

When I've used external HDDs before my laptop has always read it as a local disc surely the is the same as the laptop reading the C; or D; drives of the installed hard disk? so i shouldnt have any troulbe booting from an external drive (not that i intend to)

As for the HDD controller, is there no way to make the laptop think the External drive is on the same controller as the internal?

MAKE SURE all the XP drivers are available. Buy a new hard drive, put it in your laptop, Install XP. Install drivers. If your OK, get an external caddy, put your old drive in and use for storage/copy docs from it.

Can i save the drivers from the sigte to CD and then install them into the OS that way, like you would when you get a driver CD with a new machine

how do i copy all files from an external drive with an OS on it? surely it will just read it as another OS disk than external storage? it is partitioned though to OS and programmes on C then Data on D....

Sorry about the long list of questions but but i have had conflicting statements and want to make sure i don't f**k it up.

Edited by justamadman - 06 February 2009 at 9:19pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 11:03pm
The external HDD will be on the USB controller/external caddy controller. Not the HDD controller on the motherboard.
 Local disk is one thing, that doesnt carry the boot info, MFT etc.
 You can boot from as many partitions you like on your main drive, even from another HDD. It's called dual boot, you seem to have created a dual boot by accident at some time. Dual boot is usually for running two different O/S. You MAY even get lucky and get it to boot from the USB (doubt it tho) but when you put the drive back into the PC it won't know what the hell is going on, it's USB/Caddy Not IDE ATA on the board. IF it did boot it would looking for the correct drivers, why do this?
 You can of course download the drivers ready from the mfr site and put them on CD.
 I have done SEVEN machines since first you posted, all in the way I described. I cannot fathom at all why you want to install onto the USB first/at all? Why?
 Nick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 11:52pm

I cannot fathom at all why you want to install onto the USB first/at all? Why?

Because i Don't know what I'm doing and havie a vauge understanding of IT so I'm just trying to gauge the best way to do this.

Thanks for your help, Ian
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 12:00am

Just re read that, sorry if I was abrupt.

Honestly though, there is no need/advantage to trying to install onto a USB first.
 You'll be OK doing it straight onto the drive. Many people will be able to halp if you get stuck doing it the normal way.
 Regards
Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply