Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4x12" w-bin anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4x12" w-bin anyone?
    Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:22am
Check this out, 4 12" woofers in an old school(1988) w-bin. Actually has pretty good specs for the time!

Hope you can read german ;)

http://www.visaton.de/vb/showthread.php?t=7656
Speaker addict
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 4:45pm
very nice...
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 11:47am
probably the best speaker in the world at the time Big smile  w-bins are excellent
What I cannot create, I do not understand
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:19pm
that thing must kick, smack you in the face
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 7:44pm
Id love 6 of those...
Sequence Empire:::.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequence Empire:::.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 12:26am

Edited by Sequence Empire:::.. - 07 October 2009 at 12:30am
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 11:04am
roborg - did they sound good up to 350hz? wondering whether it's worth building some cabs a bit like this but split in half vertically.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

roborg - did they sound good up to 350hz? wondering whether it's worth building some cabs a bit like this but split in half vertically.

Im never gonna make any, but thats why I was think 3 per side...
ON their sides....
Would reach a nice height to stack tops on.....
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 11:33am
Im not sure if anyone on here remembers,(Colint might,maybe Robbo and CSG too).Simms-Watts did a 4x12 Wbin,made in england,with four 12"  80watt chrome-dome fane drivers,around the late 70's,of course the cabinet was finished in the fashionable black leatherette cloth that was the standard at the time.
Be seeing you.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:27pm
the visaton cab looks a bit like 4 punishers stuck together. I imagine it would work very well and with the right drivers would probably be a lot better than anyone got it sounding when it was concieved. Although if I was going to build it I would dispense with the letterbox and alter the throat slightly.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 4:13pm
Yeah agreed - seems like a slightly shorter horn path and a larger front chamber than the punisher - that's a guess purely by eye though so I may well be wrong. Although it seems to be a good throat arrangement in terms of reflectors being at correct angles, acoustically 'small' gaps with regards to the frequencies going through them, drivers facing each other to reduce distortion and panel loss/resonances etc. That's why I'm quite curious about high cutoff - if you could sort the letterbox out slightly maybe it'd sound better than a punisher but with slightly lower sensitivity? I should do more modelling less speculating but I know downloading hornresp on my work computer will mean no work gets done :P

Edited by darkmatter - 08 October 2009 at 4:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply