Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solaris 10/8 X86

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solaris 10/8 X86
    Posted: 06 March 2009 at 12:47pm
Didnt want to get too technical in the title ... LOL

Why is the install "still" years behind Windows & Linux ?

Scavenged some parts I had lying around, and built a pc just for running Solaris.

The install was ok to a certain part and then kept freezing the comp.

After 30 mins googling on my main pc, I found out Solaris X86 install "freezes" in GUI mode if the target box has only 512MB ram or less.Confused

Pretty diabolical I'm thinking, seeing as XPSP3 and OpenSUSE 10+ can both install with only 256MB ram. Luckily I found another bit 'o' 256MB DDR that I thought was faulty, but was ok.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 7:56pm
I know there is a limit of 512MB for a GUI install. When I installed solaris 10 on my old IBM box a year or so ago it defaulted to text mode. I have since found some more ECC to put in it so it is up to 512MB anyway.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 9:00pm
It's why Windoze wins. I tried to put Ubuntu on a Fujitsu INTEL chipset laptop last week. Resolution was wrong, changed it, bang, corrupt display. Is there an enable VGA mode, like hell.... Loads of command line crap later....bollo***   Fix MBR and back to Windows.
 Like you said Lev, how the hell! Bit like speaker retailers who don't answer the phone, and on and on......Thumbs Down
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

It's why Windoze wins.

Damn shame, but quite right.

When I was at college, I thought Microsoft was the devil, and Solaris was Valhalla.

Now, I just use UNIX at work, (or at home for boosting my CV  Wink), and Winbloze for everything else.

But will be nice again, to have ORACLE 10g, and SYBASE ASE 15 on Solaris at home.

Can now boost my ODBC dev skills, using Excel VBA/VB.Net/C#, l thru ODBC to my Solaris box. Embarrassed
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply