Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how high?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how high?
    Posted: 10 March 2009 at 9:42pm
i run mine up to 80hz which seems to be in keeping with the status quo, i have no need to go higher but i do have a freind about to score himself a pair of fk1 res4s which go down to 114hz. the plan quotes 119hz as the upper f3 point- does anyone actually run this high? are there any major issues with a res4 + x1 setup apart from the obvious mismatch of (albeit brilliantly designed) diy and high end pro cab?
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 10:21pm
problem that usualy occurs with bandpass designs is at the upper crossover the group delay gets rather peaky and tends to sound a bit ropey without the peramiters to make a plot of the x1 to hand i cant say for certain this will be the case but i can say its a good rule of thumb to cross a bandpass as low as possabe in its passband to try and get into a smooth area of grroup delay to avoid a boomy sounding crossover. with an F3 of 119Hz youll need to go to around 130 -140 odd Hz to give the res4 enough low end respons to cross over nicley, my advice would be hd15.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 10:27pm
i thought that may be the case- they will eventually end up with a fitting box underneath it's just that i happen to have a pair of x1s.
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 10:47pm
allways worth a listening test if the components are lying arround, and available just dont hold out for magnificent kick and make sure the res4's are adiquatley high passed.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply