Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plan ! - D-20 (hz) Macro Sub ..tapped horn by moi.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plan ! - D-20 (hz) Macro Sub ..tapped horn by moi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:44am
well, 30hz is all that most people could ever need, many are happy with 40-50. the 20-30hz region just seems to be exhuberant. but nice out of curiousity. the useful limit for feeling it at hifi levels seems to be 25 hz or so, much below this and you seem to hear the rattles more than feel them ;)

also, especially if you have linkwitz transform on your consideration list; you may find eqing that response an adiquate solution. as its not massively out; if you arent aiming for absolute max headroom.
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 4:11am
I've got an eq on loan which is ~LT for some drivers -  -btw - here's an interesting way to get bass - look up MJK GW-1858 H-baffle - ~21"x21"x16" with a cheap Chinese 18" - not sure how clean it is but it sounds pretty good - Qts is a bit above 1 -  seems to poop out gracefully when driven hard and it goes to 30

nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:08pm
intregueing.. cant find the baffle on google anywhere pictured ...fair bit of talk about it tho.
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 4:04pm

here's Martin King's writeup:   http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Project08.html
picture:     http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/H_Frame.jpg

back to the inverted tapped - if I had made the cutout a tiny bit larger so my B&Cs would fit it 'should' look kinda like so with a steeper LF slope and a bit more output before cutoff - - I'm not wild about high mass cone woofer -- - now if it were 5ft tall then the B&C sim reads 103dB @22Hz corner loading  LOL

5ft tall 15PZB40 in corner

max spl of that enclosure based on 9mm and 200 watts

4ft tall vs 5ft tall corner response tradeoffs w. 15PZB40

and half-space vs corner loaded spl for the 5ft tall ITH at 2.83vrms

4ft tall
half-space

4ft tall
corner space

Edited by freddi - 29 March 2009 at 8:36pm
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:55pm
it sounds pretty solid on my porch with bar clamps holding a plywood piece for rectangular opening - probably better than reflex (got to load and tune one for direct comparison) - - here's another input Z 

nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 1:07pm
:)

something odd about reflex, even when they measure flat, they just dont seem to punch the air in the lower octaves quite the same way as long airpath couplings. they just seem to be dominated by kick.
freddi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2009 at 10:39pm
for a given form factor and bulk - when might one pick the inverted case over the regular tap-horn? - seems to me inverted would tune lower - it does have quite a bit of power outdoors compared to a reflex - it seems to hunker down on some notes and excursion is controlled- - - what might one build for home theatre?
Natty K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natty K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 10:54am
hi. is this sub going to do small parties under some kickers starting with 2 of them and building up. the reason i ask is play dubstep and DnB which both sound very nice through my floor standers of course but not through my current 12" ported enclosures as they cutt off hard at 30/35Hz. cheers
Natty K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natty K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 6:41pm
the first graph says its to quiet the other says its in the 150 Db region??

LongThrow69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongThrow69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:37am
What was the true spl of the 12 inch 20hz cabinet?
BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by freddi freddi wrote:

for a given form factor and bulk - when might one pick the inverted case over the regular tap-horn? - seems to me inverted would tune lower - it does have quite a bit of power outdoors compared to a reflex - it seems to hunker down on some notes and excursion is controlled- - - what might one build for home theatre?

That's exactly what I did in 2012 for my home theater. I haven't changed it since.

Edited by BP1Fanatic - 02 May 2022 at 3:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678