Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important is rear chamber size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important is rear chamber size?
    Posted: 13 March 2009 at 2:19pm
I'm using an Eminence Magnum 12ho driver, and I know this isn't the recommended driver but I'm interested to see how well it works...

Anyway, the driver is pretty deep, around 150mm, so would it be ok to extend the rear chamber, or would this screw everything up?
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 3:44pm
A larger rear chamber lowers power handling and sloightly increases low output.

A driver with parameters as such as the orignal (recommended) driver will fit the described volume. If the Magnum parameters are different, are they different so that the Magnum is more suited for a large rear chamber, if so, no problem.
Are they different that the Magnum wants a smaller volume, bigger problem.

You can always fill the rear chamber with dead material that the depth doesn't neccesarly corresponds with the internal volume.

There is also however the horn. If the parameters are too different it might work in the sealed enclosure but not for the horn.

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 13 March 2009 at 3:46pm
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:44pm
Cheers, I've 90% built the 1st cab now... I'll give it a test once it's done and see how well it works... I'm just building a mid cab on it's own, that way I can worry about building another cab for 1KHz+ when I decide on what drivers I want to use....

I've only extended the rear chamber an inch or so, and if it did increase the low output I wouldn't complain! Smile The magnum 12ho is apparently the same as the definimax 12ho, which is more of a bass horn driver really, but I'm hoping to have usable output to 100Hz so I'll have to get measuring once it's done. The specs are a lottle differenct, 4" coil, higher power handling, a little more xmax, lower fs (45Hz) and ebp of around 150 I think...

If it sounds horrible I can order the recommended driver and add a little stuffing to compensate, and bung the magnum in a bass horn...

Edited by MikeHunt79 - 13 March 2009 at 4:45pm
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply