Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My ported sub build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My ported sub build
    Posted: 02 April 2009 at 6:25pm
I designed this cab around the B&C and beyma designs with some modifications and then got my brother to draw it up with some CAD program. Anyway I did this ages ago and only just got round to building them this week. I like looking at pictures of builds so I took some snaps along the way for those who care.

The cab is all 12mm ply except the braces, ribs and baffel which are 18mm. Im pretty pleased with how it turned out and they seem very strong for the weight with all of the reinforcemnts going on. They are to  be loaded with 18'' kilomax drivers.

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 5:54am
look good

the amount of bracing you've used you could have useb 18mm instead
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 9:45am
Thumbs Up But yeah 12mm for a 1kw 18" driver is bordering on(well not bordering- well over the border) a bit thin, I had trouble with a prototype mid/hi cab with braced 12mm MDF being thin(muddy)

Otherwise, the bracing looks pretty comprehensive and may be prefect for what you want anyway, they do look good so congrats Big smile
Speaker addict
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 11:34am
I think this is the right way to go, to try your ideas! If it sound crap you can always build something else! Nice work!
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 4:49pm
It was originally designed to be as light as possible and for a eminence 3015lf or other neo 15''.

I bought a the kilomax's on the spur just to give them a go, if they work as winISD says above 50Hz no other driver I have seen can match them for output, and max output in a small box was the main requirement. But I have read complaints about their SQ so time will tell if they are worth keeping. Guess if it sounds crap I'll just have to build new cabs out of 18mm ply or try to bodge the cabs to take a suitable 15''.

And I haven't got the correct bolts to mount the driver yet and so they remain untested at big volume Unhappy.
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 5:37pm
Have you done a classic? Looked in eminence data sheet for baffel cut out and got to big?! I have done that a cuple a years ago...hate when they have writ it wrong.
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 7:09pm
I did cut the holes wrong, but it was thru lasiness not incorrect eminence data. 
I turned the speaker cone down on the baffel, penciled round it, then jigsawed out a hole by cutting a couple centimeters inside the line I'd just drawn, all very approximate and by eye. Suprise surprise didnt turn out very accurate and being in a rush to get down the pub didnt help. Was about the only shortcut I took making the boxes tho and as such they have turned out to be the best looking boxes I've yet made. 
So its onwards with a bunch more Bill Fitz titan subs this summer, and ones that I want to finish properly for the first time to.
thoams87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoams87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:35pm
Finished,

Listening at first they sounded quite boomy but that was without the wadding, after lining most of the cabint walls its much better. Pannels vibrate  much less at high volume and the sound is clearer and better defined. After that little change im pretty happy with them, not sure about weight but its an easy solo lift becasue of the fairly small size and reasonable weight. Just got to pair them up with some nice small moulded tops and it should be a pretty potent small rig for most of my work.

Post Reply Post Reply