Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dropbox - cool free synching and backup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropbox - cool free synching and backup
    Posted: 05 April 2009 at 5:31pm
I've been using Dropbox for the past week and have found it really useful. For those that don't know, it's a free and easy to use way to share and store your files online.  It gives you 2.25 GB of free space for backups and automatically syncs between PCs in real time. Great for those of us who've forgotten vital files when at work/uni.

Watch the demo here to learn more: https://www.getdropbox.com/screencast#screencast

http://getdropbox.com/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 6:05pm
It actually gives you 2GB of space, unless you refer people

But yeah, I've had an account for about a year or so and it's well good.
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:07pm
I think the links I put up should give you 2.25GB.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:17pm
Yeah, if you get referred you get the extra too. But fresh signups only get 2GB. Still plenty for free.
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:41pm
Nice, Skydrive gives you 25Gb tho, I'm using around 10gb just with my photo's... Smile

It doesn't have a sync tho, so dropbox is good for that, I may start syncing my hornresp.dat!

Edited by MikeHunt79 - 05 April 2009 at 8:42pm
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 8:45pm
The sync isn't the best feature in my experience. What makes Dropbox is the automatic revisioning of, and ability to undelete, any file ever placed in it.

Last week, I undeleted a document I got rid of eight months ago but realised I needed again!
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 10:57pm
I think the synching and revisioning is great.  Synching is really useful as I have all my stuff on computers at home, work, the girl's and at my parents.  So no matter where I am I have access to my files easily without having to carry round a memory stick and constantly update things manually.

Oh yeah and I just checked with a friend - the links I posted give you the extra 250 MB free.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 11:29pm
a good little lightweight uploading program for mac is " quickshareit ". real simple, quick and easy to use =P

i did use dropbox, but my colleges idiot of an IT manager decided that downloading _anything_ would be blocked - so I gave up trying to use it...
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 11:52pm
so you have to use their software thing?
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:23am
It runs in the background. You don't use their software so much as it integrates with your OS. You have a folder in your My Documents on Windows, I believe, called Dropbox.

Anything you place in there is immediately uploaded to the online service, and downloaded on any other computers you use with the Dropbox software via your login details installed. If you make a change to that file on any of the computers it's now on, a revision is saved online so that if you later decide that it was a stupid edit or whatever, you can revert to the unsullied copy.

If you delete something that's in the Dropbox folder, it disappears from all computers but you can just go to their website and undelete it and it'll instantly reappear.

You can also put files in the predefined Photos folder and it'll make nice flashy galleries you can link people to. You can put stuff in the predefined Public folder, and it'll give you a public link so that you can share the file with a few friends who might not use Dropbox themselves.

There's no time limit on any of it, and you get 2GB of file storage for free.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:36am
i'm a linux person.. was just curious whether there was some kind of ftp or something option... not bothered really was just curious. can't be arsed with wine really heh.

i did watch the presentation video. looks good.
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 4:05am
Yeah, there's the option of uploading and downloading manually through an http interface but then you don't get automatic realtime synching.

Doesn't matter anyway:

Quote Dropbox is supported on Windows XP and Vista (32 and 64-bit), Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard, as well as Ubuntu 7.10+ and Fedora Core 9+.

We've also had users report success running Dropbox on Debian, OpenSUSE, Arch Linux, Gentoo as well as several other distributions of Linux. While Dropbox may work just fine on other platforms, we don't officially support them.

http://getdropbox.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply