Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" + 6.5" + 1" midtops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asaa00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" + 6.5" + 1" midtops?
    Posted: 21 April 2009 at 4:29am
Are there any plans out there for this type of configuration?  "Poor mans floodlights"?lol

Edited by asaa00 - 21 April 2009 at 6:26am
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 10:19am
the x-tro isn't a million miles away tho it uses 15" + 8" + i forget...
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 10:40am

will you make a phase plug? will you use a 6.5" driver that comes with a sealed back? maybe look at using neo 6" from 18 sound, b&c 12nw76 and celestion / rcf 1411 neo hf. or check out CSGs 15 + 8 + 1 mid tops for ideas.

gwarntek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwarntek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 11:21am
there seems to be a lot of people after a 12 - 6.5 - 1 setup.
I reckon together we should sort out creating a cab between us, diy style and make some proper plans up. Find a few suitable drivers for each horn and hey presto
just what everyone seems to be after Smile
MikeHunt79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeHunt79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 11:31am
Would the 1" be needed if you used a phase plug and the right 6.5" driver? It would certainly make things a little simpler, not that I have anything against CD's...

EDIT: Check the MT122 section, some dude made their own top part for the MT122 which consisted of a fibreglass horn for a 6.5" driver...

Edited by MikeHunt79 - 21 April 2009 at 11:32am
I'm English, and as such I crave disappointment. I actively seek it out.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 1:07pm
Yes in my opinion. Having a 1" on top makes sense in terms of dispersion, power handling, sensible bandwidth, horn colouration etc.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 6:10pm
We should do our own version of a Turbo/F1 like box with 12 + 6 +1 with the KV2 kind of loading.

Something like this.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 4:37am
This is a recurring idea that has seen some pretty extended threads over the years, but sadly never any result.
Always seems to come down to different needs, mainly dispersion/arrayability.  I think another big problem is that a decent diy mid horn is going to take a lot of time and resources in development, meaning someones got to be up for doing that and sharing the fruits of their hard work, or there needs top be a very co-ordinated effort  between the group.

It's an idea I've played about with for some time now, and even on a personal level, it's not so easy to achieve what's required.  I wanted something cheapish to make, tightpack arrayable (as people here will push the cabs together even if you explain to them the principles of arraying..) and reasonably compact, which led to endless circling around various ideas for the 12 section. Straight horn means deep cab with lots of wasted space behind mid and top. Folded horn would need a lot of prototyping or luck to get good sound up to the bottom end of the 6.5", tapped horn low mid? Ported chamber horn? dual 10/single 12 SMT style with ports inside waveguide? Wacko

For the mid section I was thinking along the lines of martin H3, due to relative simplicity, round to octagonal throat on a simple conical waveguide, the octagonal expansion from the throat is constructed simply with triangular peices in the horn corners, and I have a phase plug waiting to try, thinking to post that in another thread.

Be great if we could actually settle on something and do it this time Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply