Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wood buying and planning advice for 186 horns.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekoffensive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wood buying and planning advice for 186 horns.
    Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:52pm
hi all, need some advice, as ive never built before

basically, im building 2 186 horns, and ive worked out the total amount of wood needed size wise, what i need some help with is what size panels of ply i should buy it in??

do they come in set sizes or can i request different sized panels to suit the build? i want to get the most from them and not waste any.

also what prices should i be expecting for ok quality ply, im not looking for the best but wanna get reasonable quality against the cost.

any advice or diagrams referring to the best way to plan the cuts would be very much appriciated, as im quite eager to start learning as these are my first builds.

thanks

jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:56pm
use 18mm 13 laminate birch ply expect to pay around £40 per 8x4 sheet from a timber place

dont bother using like 5 lam stuff or mdf, not worth it, to build the cabs takes ages
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:59pm
Standard size for ply is 8'x4' (2440 x 1220mm), and some suppliers may have stocks of 5'x5' (1525 x 1525mm)...
Not sure but if you search here in this section of the forum there may well be a cut sheet somewhere. 
If you can't find a ready made cuttting plan, just draw out your sheets to scale on squared paper (doesn't have to be squared but helps) sketch in possible layouts and it should become obvious how you can best use the material to avoid waste.
tekoffensive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekoffensive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:14pm
cheers for the replys,  just did a forum search and found some text that i can enter into a program called cutlist. just tried it and cant work cutlist to save my life.

after reading the thread, ive decided to get somewhere like B&Q to do the bigger cuts, ill probably do the throat cuts and mitres on the little saw my dad has, so ive got a new question,

what info should i take to the shop to make sure I / they get it right??  im guessing an accurate cut plan should be adequate???
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 7:18pm
dont go to b&q, go to a proper woodyard.

and make them a cutting list, dont just take the plans. 
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 9:54pm
Cutlist is cool. Keep trying, it works. Try some simple boxes in it first.
It's everything, not everythink!
tekoffensive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekoffensive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 10:52pm
sorted a good woodyard, gonna draw up a cutplan tomorrow and take a plan that i found on a similar thread on here.

cutlist plus is confusing, cant seem to import them text files made up of numbers to make a plan, guess im gonna have to learn it myself!

again, cheers for the replies.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:02pm
How many 8by 4 sheets per pair of horns?
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2015 at 8:53pm
It is almost two sheets per box. I made 4 1850s with 7 sheets, so when you make multiples, you can be smart about it and save a little.
 Post Reply Post Reply