Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" punisher how high ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" punisher how high ?
    Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:01pm
Hi everyone,

i got a nice 2"/1" BMS comp combo, it says the 2" can play down to 300hz. With the right horn, it is maybe possible in real world to come down to 450hz. Would be nice ...

My plan is to have a 2x 15"hornloaded box, have to play from 110-450hz without sounding bad. I saw the punisher 15" section and it looks good take, has anyone tried to run the 15" up to 450hz ?

How does it sound ?

HR simulation looks good ...

thanks !
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 11:55pm
A carefully chosen 15" can run up to 450-500Hz, but certainly not in a Punisher style cabinet.
First of all, the intended region ( let's take an even 100 to 450Hz ) doesn't need that long hornpath of 2 meter and more. Second, the speaker needs to fire straight in the hornmouth and bends or folds must be as gentle as possible to avoid refraction.
Bottom line : choose another style horn.

Edited by Peter Jan - 27 May 2009 at 11:55pm
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 3:53am
I'm wondering if there is some confusion here between punisher and xtro? 
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 8:42am
Yep, was thinking that too, but it's not impossible, that why I said : Punisher "style"

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 11:48am
110 - 450Hz from dual 15" straight horns is certainly do-able. For simplicity, slot loaded 15s on straight horns would be okay as djk has suggested using in various threads on this forum. For better sound I think you'd want to phase plug the drivers to get good response above ~350hz.

I can't understand why you'd run a 2" driver down to 450hz and put a dual 15" horn loaded box below it for PA use personally (but then I have no experience!). It seems to me you'd want to have more headroom from 450 - 2000hz. If you let the 2" driver handle a really large bandwidth it'll have a lot of power going into it.
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 12:31pm
thanks all, i will try this out !

darkmatter, i see whats going on, amplifier is strong hope the driver is too :)
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 7:09pm
That BMS coax driver is only usuable from 400-450Hz if you use it for hifi applications. For PA you must crossover much higher.

Best regards,

Walt
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2009 at 1:15pm
Ok,

do you think the driver will do full spl above 700hz ?

Thank you !
 Post Reply Post Reply