Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

max spl from 1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 10:35pm
Yeah measure the height of the driver & then super-impose this on the plan (where the magnet will be) & ensure you actually have enough clearance for the driver to first of all fit inside the speakerbox & then ensure you make a large enough access hole to get it in.  As the speaker sits at an angle & the bottom of the speakerbox is horizontal it'll prolly take a bit of checking to make sure.  Some 18"'ers i wanted to try in the 1850horn wouldnt go thru the access panel i made.
  My bet is that the void is slightly larger than the pd1850 so it might be really awkward to fit in the 1850horn without some jigsaw & router fixing 
  The reason to leave 50mm or so is so that you don't restrict the rear vent too much (as long as you have a decent gap there, like >30mm its prolly ok)  if you are worried about extra volume then glue or screw some extra ply to the sides of the speaker box to make the volume the same as the 1850horn plans.  By building the speaker box too large you can always make it smaller with ease.
  You'll find that unless you build the access panel flush with the bottom of the driver mount (not really a good idea) that you'll need some extra space under the driver to manouver it thru the access hole & up to the v-wedge anyway.

cheers,
   Rob

What I cannot create, I do not understand
djdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 4:32am
i have had alook on both data sheets and the depth of both drivers (void and pd) both seem to be the same at 187mm. If i addjust the speaker box do i ahve to change other angkes etc to make everything else fit as it shold. if so does this not adjust other dimensions of the horn. sorry if i seem dumb but i am  a 17yr old student skint student so i want to make it correct first time as i can't afford to screw up
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 10:41am
maybe you do not have to alter rear chamber volume afterall .  Personally i´d make it a bit larger just to make the driver easier to fit (look at the 186horn plans to see how the bottom of the speakerbox has been moved down.) 
  I´ve played around with adding extra panels to the inside sides of the speakerbox in the 1850horn when trying different drivers to reduce volume, the audible difference is negligible with a direct comparison of cabs.  I even added an extra baffle & put a 12" driver in, put several bricks inside to reduce volume too  That was a waste of time....

I suspect the v18-1000´s stronger motor requires a slightly smaller volume than the pd1850, but the problem there is making the speakerbox smaller, would make life difficult when fitting the speaker!

some1else here must have built an 1850 with a void in it?

cheers,

Rob
djdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2005 at 8:41am
Well i guess we will find out started building my cabs makeing it a tad bigger as you said. touch ply they aint to bad to build so far
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:51pm

I'd definatly go with the Void V18-1000 in that case as with PD, you need to give PD quite a lot of power before they come 'alive'.

djdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:45am
yeah i defnitly are going for the voids but its a bit annoying that there are non anywhere till just before christmas
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 11:48am
i heard father-xmas (not father-xmax, doh!) has bought them all, maybe he'll drop a few down your chimney (but only if its more than 18" in diameter )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12