Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 - amp combo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 - amp combo
    Posted: 25 October 2005 at 3:22am

this is sort of an extension off a topic i started in the genral forum. http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2898&a mp;PN=1

basically i'm looking at building two X1's with void 18-1000 drivers. for an amp i want to use a RMX2450 since it seems to meet my power requirements, it's good quality and it's at the right price. to be a bit easier on my wallet i will build one X1 to start and then add the next one later.

so what i'm interested in finding out is how well do you think the RMX2450 will work for this. i heard a few opinions in the first topic i started but it still left me a bit unsure. i could go with a bigger amp but i would prefer to use that money for some music production gear i would like to add to my system.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 3:23pm

Some people say it will be fine in 4 ohm bridge and others say its not[ including me, as both my QSC RMX2450 went into thermal protection when I tried to push them in 4 ohm bridge, maybe due to they need to be cleaned out].

So best to hire out a QSC RMX2450 [one that has been cleaned out/serviced recently of course] and see in 4 ohm bridge if it runs 2x X1's fine when the sound is pushed up, then you'll know whether to go for one or not.

LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 4:12am

One trick I've found when pushing amps like this is to look at the impedence curve of the subs and where the impedence drops to 8(or less) ohms,pull back those frequencies by just a couple of db. For example if a ported box has two peaks either side of tuning(lets say 50hz) and the Higpass is at 30hz,I'd cut 2db from 35-40hz and the second peak might be from 55 to maybe 70hz with a dip back to 8 ohms at 80-100hz,so you'd take 2db out from 80 to the x-over freqency. The load on the amp is significantly reduced where the impedence is at it's lowest. I had to do this on a car amp which wasn't 2ohm stable but I had an equaliser capable of reducing the load. The amp stopped going into thermal/overcurrent protect and sound quality was virtually unchanged.

I hope you get what I mean as it may just be enough to help the QSC out.

Speaker addict
ZINN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2005 at 4:17am
thats for the help, i'm looking at two X1 boxes loaded with P Audio SD-18. with how i normally drive my system i should be fine for right now. i will get a chance to test out this setup sometime in november i think.
 Post Reply Post Reply