Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 spec drivers: UK alternative needed please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 spec drivers: UK alternative needed please
    Posted: 28 August 2009 at 1:17pm

P Audio x12 spec drivers discontinued. As a novice I wouldn't know what to replace them with. The cabinets have been built to spec and I don't want to bugger about retuning them, so your recommendations for a UK build alternative please.

(I realise that there are many threads about this already but from various builders in various countries. This thread is Uk specific.)

ta muchly.

Edited by tendril - 28 August 2009 at 1:26pm
Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2009 at 2:19pm
There are lots of options of drivers available in the UK.

From PD there is the PD123ER if you want heavy (available from Bluearan) or 12MH25 if you want lightweight.

From B&C you could use the 12PLB76 or 12NDL76 or 12HPL76

There are Beyma options but I'm not as familiar with their drivers.

Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2009 at 8:43am
I have said many times the original and only X12's were equiped with budget drivers. To get comparable performance there is no need to look beyond the Celestion TN1225's.

The important part is then the Comp. You can either build them as a M-T-M arrangement which allows you to use any number of 1" comps crossed as low as 1.8K or in more typical M-M-T arrangement and either use a 1-1/4" comp crossed at around 1.2K or one of the BMS 1" drivers crossed as low as 1K although this is probably not cost effective giving the budget nature of the Bass-Mid driver.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 29 August 2009 at 10:31am
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:11pm
unfortunately these cabs are already built tony so MTM isn't an option but i'm curious as to why that arrangement would allow a higher crossover freq. sorry if it's a bit of a basic question Embarrassed
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:43am
It keeps the relative path lengths for the 3 drivers as close as possible assuming listening on the comp axis. With a double bass mid arrangement there is always some anomaly because of the physical distance from the comp to the lower bass unit.
Lowering the x-over frequency also helps which is why you see a lot of 2" units used in this arrangement crossed at 800-1000hz. But these often sound sub-optimal.

No arrangement is perfect its all about managing the compromises.

Tony

boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

No arrangement is perfect its all about managing the compromises.

this seems to be true for nearly all aspects of speaker design, thanks for the answer Smile
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
 Post Reply Post Reply