Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desmondj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheels
    Posted: 08 November 2005 at 7:10am
...hoping you all won`t mind another hardware question...i was wondering for those of you who put casters on your sub cabs, don`t the real low sounds make the wheels rattle a bit, or is the rattling a non factor?...maybe just real high quality casters are needed?... i was thinking of using those removable ones, like a larger version of the mesa boogie ones...any thoughts are appreciate
thanks
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 7:25am
I had the same question like you when I built my system.

I' ve found out that the castors didn't rattle (weird)
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 7:42am
I think you'll find that other things in the room rattle a lot more! 
Dixi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dixi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 10:08am

My wheels rattle but its not a factor to considor, when my subs are played full level sourdings objects of bigger size are more an issue. And when your are playing your system on great power your not gonna hear the weels anyway so nothing to worrie about if you ask me.

/K

"But where is the speaker? thats just a box with a hole in it!"
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 11:07pm

Well if you worried that the castors may rattle, get the type with a lock/brake which will clamp the wheel when its in lock/brake position.

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 7:42am

The brake lock will only clamp the wheel, which still leaves the swivel to rattle.

I've found that the wheels can rattle, but at higher frequencies than the sub, so it depends on how you stack the cabinets.  It's quite obvious if you sweep the system.

LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 6:29pm
My castors(bandpass bins) dont rattle but you can feel them vibrating. Also one of them sometimes starts turning slowly and keeps going while the music is up. Looks funny but can't figure out how it happens Mine use heavy rubber wheels so maybe the mass of the wheel hanging on its side stops it rattling?
Speaker addict
IAIN RENDLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAIN RENDLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 7:31am

my my 186's they rattle when i hit a beast of a note. but u can only hear it when ure sitting out back. the cowd aint gonna hear it at all

iain

-=vortex sound systems=-
www.vortexsound.co.uk
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 10:15am

The 4 inch blue castors with brakes are more heavy duty than the black type of castors, and are less likely to rattle.

Just seems the black type of castors are not as good quality, thats what I found.

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 1:20pm
I've had more problems with my sprung handles vibrating but they are mounted on the largest unbraced panel in the box with a driver only a few inches behind firing straight at it.  the wheels are fine
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply