Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do the X15’s sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 5:35pm
Images don't seem to have linked properly, I can only view the thumbnails.

The holes round the driver are the ports, this isn't an unusual way to do them. Providing the tuning is correct, they'll be fine.  The cabinets in general look ok, I've seen far worse home-made attempts.  The trap shape should relate to the dispersion of the horn (1/4 of) but no major problem if not.

I see you've fitted one of the 2226's in the tops, hopefully they'll be an improvement.

Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2005 at 6:48pm

Yeah, not really got to grips with the hosting pictures thing!

2226's are in all of the tops now, gonna give them a blast tomorrow and see what happens, I'll get back to you on the feedback rejection and upper mid responce hopefully tomorrow night.

Cheers. Rich

Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 3:14pm

Right then. Tried the speakers out today to much dissapointmet I'm afraid, they just sound terrible!

To get a semi-decent sound out of them I had to put a wide parametric cut around 630 and 2.5K and then a 5dB graphic cut from about 1.25K-4K, and then a boost from 8K to 12K upto +9dB at 12K.

At low levels the upper mid sounded lacking along with the high frequencies and when it was cranked up the upper mid cut through, and was too much at full level.

Feedback wise I couldn't get much more gain, the usual ring at 5K-6.3K was coming through, and quite unpredictably really high feedback would pop up 12K ish.

Remove the eq and the sound is just appalling, add it and it's much better but still not a good sound. I don't know what do now other than have a big bonfire and win the lottery!

What d'ya recon?

Cheers, Rich.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2005 at 9:53pm
That is odd, I would have expected better from that driver combination.  Anyone else care to chip in, maybe with more experience with the 2226 and 2426?

There are certainly boxes you can build such as like mine which I can definitely say will sound a lot better than you describe.

Maybe there is something else going on I haven't considered yet.  Unfortunately it is difficult to diagnose without seeing/hearing the boxes myself.  The human ears are a wonderful tool!

Out of curiosity, how much lower than the 2226 were you running the 2426's?  I'd expect something like -10dB.  Crossover at 1k6.  Most of the problems you were describing refer to the compression drivers range, maybe they are not sounding as they should.  What crossover/amps do you run?

Edited by ceharden - 11 November 2005 at 9:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12