Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom TOA system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:30pm
Hi, thought id ask through this thread....
Looks like a mate and me have got hold of 12 MS-1's, mid tops units. Hugely heavy cabs are very well made, like in the pic above but with an extra ply 'shell'. Does anyone know what they sell for? Deciding whether to break for parts or not. Thanks
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:41pm
No idea of price but empties with horn left in should sell if you break.
It's everything, not everythink!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:57pm
Thanks man,
Tbh they look too good to break, they would have cost alot when new. Used as part of a big pa system.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:29pm
Advertise them. I recon you have to be sensible as they are not common but loaded 300/400 a cab maybe?  eBay or Rig Resale I recon
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:36pm
Forgot about rigsale- good call, I'll check that route out. Best for some kind of install i reckon due to the weight
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:40pm
Rig resale lot will love them in fields, 4wd forklifts :)

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 10:21pm
Lol, apparently they have a long throw outside ;-)
Martin Sweeting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Martin Sweeting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 4:54pm
Hi Guys
Came across this thread totally by accident, I have to put the record straight about the "MS rig";
These cabs were designed by me in 1990, whilst working at TOA in conjunction with Chris Scott from Logic. At the time he was working for W and T in Brigg on Humberside. I designed the mid top cab first without any intention of adding a Sub. They were designed for Old Trafford Stadium (Manchester United) in response to the Taylor Report that condemned most football stadium sound systems following the Hillsborough disaster.
I was given a brief by my client (T G Baker) to design a "long throw wide dispersion" speaker that could achieve an SPL of 136dB of 100hz-16khz, 120 x 40 degree dispersion which this did. We took the speaker to Salford University and with sound consultant Peter Mapp, we were able to accurately measure the frequency response and produce polar plots for the clients who needed them. 
in the following years, TOA supplied systems to clients and they were installed in many football clubs in the intervening years, including Manchester United, Coventry City, Blackburn Rovers, Hampden Park and a few others which I can't remember off the top of my head! I followed up with an MS2 the following year for smaller clubs, which was installed at Liverpool, Barnsley, Ipswich, Southampton and a few others. In 1994, TOA had a change of management and in their wisdom, made me redundant. I was still asked if I could produce the speaker by my loyal customers and with the help of W and T (I produced a version with RCF 12" drivers and B and C 2" drivers. These were subsequently installed in Charlton Athletic, Manchester city (Maine Road in the new stand). The last time the TOA MS1's were used as far as I know was in The Etihad stadium in Manchester (Manchester city's new ground). They were requested by Arup acoustics for the then Commonwealth Stadium in Manchester which was then bought by Manchester City and as far as I am aware, are still working to this day.
So, as for the MSB (the subwoofer of the system) because I had customer (Nitelites in North Shields) showing an interest in the system, I had an idea of a subwoofer design and I designed this (again with Chris Scott) to produce a twin 18" subwoofer utilising the new range of "Ultra Linear" speakers that TOA Japan's designer (Nubo Nito) was designing, in a push pull configuration. The idea of push/pull was to help compensate for the phase response and in effect give a semi-cardiod subwoofer. I have to say at this system was tested with the latest digital crossover that TOA were producing (SAORI) and as far as I am aware, the very first digital crossover on the market. 
Crossover points are 80-100/ 1.6k.... More to follow...
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 3:41pm
Thanks Martin, thats an interesting read.  Whens the second instalment coming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12