Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Compression driver suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 4:46am

Thank you. 

My concerns were microphone feedback, which tends to destroy high frequencies in a matter of seconds. The harmonic distortion is lower on the 4524 than the 4544 from 10,000 - 20,000 kHz so, the 4524 will suit my needs.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 7:20am
for what it's worth elliot, the 4524 is supposed to be nigh on impossible to break. all of the bms comps are pretty robust though, certainly i've tried doing unhealthy things to a 4550 in the name of science (can a 1"really take 200 watts crossed at 800 Hz... oh look, yes it can), i think it's that the polyester diaphragms and suspension has none of the brittleness of metal.

i am dying for a project that will use the 4524, i just can't wait to get some for myself.

james.
mardy hippy.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 9:19am
Elliot,
Please bare in mind that on the 4524 BMS do not have replacement diaphragm available. When I asked why sot they reckoned it was because the cost of a diaphragm was such a high proportion of the overall cost that to supply it separately would make the price look ridiculous and most owners would just plump for a brand new driver.

James,
I have now used the 4524's in X10's (comp in centre M-T-M style)  my own twin 8" jobs and also some 12" + Comps based on the Celestion TN1225. I have also replaced quite a few drivers in cheap floor monitors (Berry & Thomann) with them. Usually have to attenuate the comp by another 4-6 db, no blown drivers after.

Tony
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:26am
Thanks Tony.

Their reason actually makes sense. I remember losing a compression driver in 1995 and, purchasing a brand new driver was only 12 pounds more than the replacement diaphragm.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
silworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 1:51pm
Apart from throat sizes (1" and 1.4") what are the differences between the 4544 and 4554?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:28pm
tony explained on the first and second pages of this thread :)
silworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 2:51pm
I found the answer it was in this thread: "p audio or BMS ????"
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

The boxes I have built are 2 x12". The 4554 (1.4") has the same recommended cross over as the 4544 (1")  i.e. 1.3K. They are basically the same driver.

Tony

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 9:52am
apologies mate i was getting models numbers mixed up :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123