Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X15 top end - some input please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X15 top end - some input please
    Posted: 15 November 2005 at 4:56am
The eternal struggle continues to find a good combination of compression driver and horn that will satisfy budget and audio requirements. I drew up a little table that has the two specced options, plus a middle option as championed by ceharden recently. I just included the price as this is often the overriding factor for many home builders. Having said that...

I have never heard any of these combos before so I was hoping members of the list could summarise their experiences with these options, maybe listening subjective qualities such like vocal sweetness/harshness, musicality of the reproduction, etc. and more(ish) tangible qualities like projection, plots or measurements, etc. so that we may all benefit from the experiences - and I can finally buy some drivers this week!

Availabilty of the components around the world might also be good information, as I know our American cousins struggle to get some of the specced components from this site.

I left the mid bass driver in the price as this is assumed to be the best option all round (and another thread might be better used to discuss the bottom end if people wanted to).

Cheaper Option
------------------------------------------
Mid/bass driver    p-audio SN15MB      89
Comp driver        p-audio BMD450      42
Horn               p-audio PH220       19
Adaptor            NA                  0
X-Over             PAP VX1             22 (?)

Cost per cab        172

Middle Option
Comp driver        B&C DE250           79
Horn               18sound xt1086      30 (?)
Adaptor            NA                  0
X-Over             PAP VX1 ?           22 (?)

Cost per cab        220

Expensive Option
Comp driver        p-audio SD740N      158
Horn               p-audio PH3220      23
Adaptor            p-audio PC5038      9
X-Over             PAP VX2             22

Cost per cab        301

I am heading towards the middle option I think...
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 4:57am
Oh, I guess this might be a general topic for top end reproduction, but as there has been a bit of noise on the X15 recently and that's what I'm building, I put it in here. It's all good information!

Edit:spelling

Edited by angus - 15 November 2005 at 4:58am
Fats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 11:01am
While still unsure myself of the comp drivers i'm going to use in my x15s, i would consider using a different crossover from the PAP VX1or2.. Simply because i was told they can only take about 400ish (or less)watts through them, and i've been led to believe this would limit the potential loudness of the x15s if compared to using for example a Selenium crossover that could take 600w, allowing you to push the drivers further....
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 11:23am
Or for ultimate performance, especially with a CD as good as the DE250, it has to be active really....
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:23pm
@ceharden: Have you had any experience running these passively? IIRC your tests were done active for your modified X15s weren't they? So probably not.

Norty, you ran your X15s passive for a bit with an EP2500 - did you run into any problems with your x-over?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:39pm
No experience with running passively sorry.  Since I had crossovers and amps handy before I started building cabs I haven't bothered trying to build passive crossovers yet.  I like being able to play with the crossover point and gains too much 
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 12:58pm
I've just re-read the (very useful) 'new multi purpose monitors' thread here and Dom is saying he runs his passive with anything from 450W to 700W, presumably without issue, so maybe PAP are being over cautious? (Dom's monitors have the cheaper option of components listed above btw)
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2005 at 1:49pm

I don't think you can say they will or won't take a certain amount of power, it's going to be dependant on where you cross them over and what sort of material you're playing.

I run mine on different amps that can output from 450-700w at 8ohms per channel.  That doesn't mean I driver them continously into clip with pink noise though.  If I did and I melted the crossovers I'd only have myself to blame really.  The bass driver is only rated at 300W rms. You don't need to drive them hard to get a lot of noise.  They also don't play any sub so you should high pass them so you're not sticking lots of unnecessary power through the xover that the box won't play anyway.

I'm using the VXM crossover by the way.

You should also factor in the cost of an l-pad as you will need one.

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 2:06pm

I ran mine passive until we realised the supplied x-over by PAP was crossing too high and there was a bit of roughness from the 15".  Run them active now with 175w per BM450 and 550w (1 channel of PLX3402 for both drivers) per sn15mb.  As Dom says, you really don't have to drive them hard to get noise.

As for the sub thing - I *ahem* had a strange thing happen *cough* where somehow the sub output of my ultradrive got connected to the sn15mbs.  Just 1100w of 40-80hz being pummelled through them.  Took me a while of muting sections before i worked out my subs were really not too bad in the 180hz-1.6khz range!!

The sn15's gave a very good showing too and really demonstrated how robust they can be

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
angus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 8:42am
Thanks for the useful input and sorry I forgot to reply to this post.

In the end I went for spec1 as per the plans on the site, which is the same as the cheaper option listed above in this thread and PAP supplied me with their recommended xover which is the VXM. The website has now been updated slightly but doesn't mention the power handling of this xover.

I shall run the 2 X15s passive one either side off an EP2500 to start with and I have already bought the correct l-pad resistors from farnell for a 9db cut on the top.

Cheers guys and I really do hope to post some finsihed pics once work quietens down a bit.

angus
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 1:36pm
If anyone is interested I've just built some passive crossovers for my boxes. Approx 1k6 LR 12dB/oct.  Sound very good, almost as good as active.  I used 1.2mH and 8uF for both high and low pass.  Haven't fitted the Zobel impedance compensation for the LF yet but that will just be a 22uF cap and a 6R8 resistor.

Components from Wilmslow audio.
 Post Reply Post Reply