Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

general question about (186) horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Killer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: general question about (186) horns
    Posted: 18 November 2005 at 5:14am

Hi there,

first I'd like to excuse myself for my english, I'm Czech and thus not so good as you guys

Q: I'd love to build 186 horns, but as said previously at this forum they don't work fine unless you have a stack of 2-4. My question is: why is it so? Why does not single horn work OK? I do mainly indoor actions with audience of 300 - 500 people. To date I used to borrow a pair of 18" scoops, but their sound is not so clear...I expect horns to be better. One more Q: how do horns sound inside?

I'm thinking of building two 186's loaded with RCF LF18G401, powered 2k and used as central stack of 2, would that be enough?

thx for rplys, Killer

SteveSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 7:37am
yes, ive just built my first 186 and its great, clear and smooth down to about 45-50hz (single cab).

For great punch bass i would use some heavy 12"s as well from about 180hz. Im going to use 2 186's in stereo. fine for halls 500-700.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:45pm

Horns mostly are not used on their own if you want deep lows, as you need many [coupled together] to achieve the frequencies and SPL and impact you want.

However things like the Punisher horn can be used on their own. But even them sound better in a stack;as they are louder and get lower and move more air when stacked vus making more impact on your chest.

So a stack of 2x 186 horns per stack should be fine indoors for around 300-500 people like you say.But 2 won't go very low, probably down to I say,48hz. But if you want extreme sub lows, more impact and more SPL, you need more 186 horns. To get down to 30hz for example you probably need 8x 186 horns or a different design.

Really depends on what music you play at the end of the day, how loud you want it and how forcefull you want the bass to be?

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by SteveSmith SteveSmith wrote:

yes, ive just built my first 186 and its great, clear and smooth down to about 45-50hz (single cab).

For great punch bass i would use some heavy 12"s as well from about 180hz. Im going to use 2 186's in stereo. fine for halls 500-700.

I find 12 inches no good for punchy bass, a couple[2-4] of HD15's on top of the 186's would sort out the punchyness if that was lacking.

Edited by ToXiC - 23 November 2005 at 5:48pm
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:32am
Yeah i'm over my 12's for mains(they're going to be stage monitors soon),got some neo 15's(sn15mb) on their way to go in some dual 15" with 2" exit comps(BM750's). Not the best quality I know but I'm pretty certain the general public will enjoy and SPL won't be an issue <300 people ;)
Speaker addict
IAIN RENDLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAIN RENDLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 7:17am

i have 2 x 186 horns (2 more half built) i have been testing them for ages. i un fotunatly can only stick about 750 or 1000watts be hind each one. if u want them to last for ever then put filters on them. about 24db per oct at 40hz. but yeah when i turn mine up they really kick in in the chest and i cross mine at 90hz! i would recomend that you build them into stacks of 4 at least! they shake the floor that way!

i dont think that 2 of them is suitable for up 500 people! unless we are going to be like obeying the SPL laws that is!  i would say 4 to 8 of them for 500-700 people. other wise they just wont feel it!

2 of mine i use for like about 200- 300 people max!

iain

-=vortex sound systems=-
www.vortexsound.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply