Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x12 ohms help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x12 ohms help
    Posted: 02 October 2009 at 11:32am
I have just built two x1 (15") subs and that is my only experience.  I am planning to start building a pair of x12's for my year 12 major work.  Just wondering about roger mogales x12 design.  Whats the impedance (ohms) for each enclosure?  Also, are the speakers/tweeters used in it 8ohms?
Need to know asap as I will be ordering the parts really soon.  I wont be using the exact same speakers and stuff as used in the design, il be using cheaper eminence or selenium stuff as that is all I can afford.

Help will be greatly appreciated!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 3:07am
Ok as I understand it;

The X1 design is for an 18" speaker, if you have made one, but with a 15" rather than a 18"driver, the way the cabinet sounds and behaves will be very different from how it would be with an 18" driver (and not better).

The X12 as described on the plans section does not include a passive crossover (which would split the audio frequencies between the high and low frequency drivers)  so is designed for use with an active crossover (which splits the audio signal into high and low frequencies before the amp) So the X12 would be driven by two separate amps, usually one amp would drive the two 12" drivers together (which, if they were two 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel would present a 4 ohm load to the amp) and a second amp would drive the single high frequency driver (these are usually rated 8-16ohm)

you should be aware that some combinations of box / drivers will work much better than others, obviously if you are on a very tight budget  you may have to compromise to begin with, If this is a school project I'd recommend you look at a modelling program such as WINSID or bassbox pro, this helps you predict how a combination of speaker drivers/box size will respond/sound (you could input the theile small data {provided by the manufacturer) of different drivers and choose the best one for your chosen application. people on here will be able to offer good advice once you've got started.

good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply