Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"kick" question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "kick" question
    Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:23pm
strange question......
today i tested my b2 similar bandpass sub with different types of music again..
i just used 1 mt112 top and 1 b2 bandpass.
no kick-bin or midbass or sth like that above.
put the lowpass filter at 60hz and 48db/oct,
high pass of the top at 150hz 48db/oct.
while i was listening to the kickdrum or kickbass of the music i noticed
that there was a very GREAT KICK while standing close in front of the box!

i always hear people say the "kick" is comming from a kick cab and the sub from the sub cab.

eg the x1/hd15 combo, or lab/usb.......
but both of the sub/kick combos are recommend to cross at 80hz or sth like that.

i put a few questions about the speed and kick from low bass cabs like
lab/12pi or long 18inch horns but noone answered me, just always"kick is comming from a.........."
but why i felt a GREAT DEEP KICK with frequencies under 60hz too?!!?
Confused
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:35pm
Where did you fell the kick on your body? head, chest, stomach or legs?

What about the frequencies from 60Hz to 150Hz?
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 12:47am
legs, stomack, everywhere...it was my purpose to let the frequencies over 60hz away
to test the kick under 60hz.
it was not a hard short kick like these frequencies round 80-100hz of hard dance music...
but a great deep kick u could feel hard too and punching a lot of air.
as i went more away from the box the kick disappeared.
neighbours have little children so couldnt drive so much powerSmile

im asking me if some cabs are better
or maybe specially not so good for these kind of "deep" kick than othersWacko
21", 18", LAB, 12"subs?
subs with a high bl and low qms/qts, or if it depends on the construction?

Opinions?

Statements?

Question
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 2:50pm

I think you can only really understand this by relating the psychoacoustic effects to the science. Things like group delay etc. will influence your perception of kick.

Kick fundamentals are often from 60-80hz so what you're experiencing isn't surprising. When people say kick cab they're talking the bit that hits you in the chest rather than flapping your trousers, the stuff from 80-200hz as a rough guide. So that'd often be the first harmonic of the kick in dance music, rather than the fundamental.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 7:27am
Perception of kick occurs at any frequency range from the very bottom end up to 250Hz as long as the impulse response is very fast, therefor the transient oscillation (engage/die) characteristics (slew rate) must me very short as well as the group delay has to be ideally constant.
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 5:55pm
what kind of music did you test with? Did that perception of great deep kick occur with every type of music?
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Perception of kick occurs at any frequency range from the very bottom end up to 250Hz as long as the impulse response is very fast, therefor the transient oscillation (engage/die) characteristics (slew rate) must me very short as well as the group delay has to be ideally constant.
Which it won't be if you're using 48dB slopes
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 4:32am
Originally posted by airbell airbell wrote:

while i was listening to the kickdrum or kickbass of the music i noticed
that there was a very GREAT KICK while standing close in front of the box!

i always hear people say the "kick" is comming from a kick cab and the sub from the sub cab.

eg the x1/hd15 combo, or lab/usb.......
but both of the sub/kick combos are recommend to cross at 80hz or sth like that.

i put a few questions about the speed and kick from low bass cabs like
lab/12pi or long 18inch horns but noone answered me, just always"kick is comming from a.........."
but why i felt a GREAT DEEP KICK with frequencies under 60hz too?!!?
Confused
It's simple really, a sound generated by a musical instrument like a kick drum covers most of the audio spectrum, so while the majority of the content is in the bass to midbass region there are harmonics that range from 20hz or below and 10khz or above.

As a result.. to get the most potent kick drum feel from a speaker system all parts of it need to be time aligned to one another so the output from each part arrives at the listener at the same time. 
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 7:22pm
@ conanski: I think thats a very good explanation! Its also the same like
Ibex said with the group delay so i think it should be trueThumbs Up

Unfortunately i have no comparison to other subs, but,
if u delay your system as good as possible,
is it possible that u can reach with some subs/horn subs
in generell (so in deep frequencies too)
a better kick than with others?Geek
(specially related to lab/12pi in comparison to 18inch horn subs...)

@hond:
no, it was good with rock music, some pop,
partially with drum n bass but there is often
a deep bass tone/line that is mixed louder and deeper as the kick part.
especially worse was it with techno coz there
was always a long delay in the deep bass frequencies(kick),
and the kick was not very precise,
it  sounded with techno more like a deep bass tone.

orangeberet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeberet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:34pm
I think, like I have read hear, that the transient response of a horn (lab12 is a horn, no?) is slowest than a closed or reflex cab, and they work better in long distances.

Maybe, they are better cabs depending of the kind of kick.

Like other members have said, you have listened a part of the kick (the lowest part), but it is less punchy than the 60-80 Hz part. You feel it better near the cab, cos the movement at high velocity of the air is reaching you (I think), and when you go away you just can feel the variations of pressure.

Apart from that, our ears aren't so sensitive below 60 Hz, and there are people that, simply, can't hear them, just feel them. So you feel/hear them much higher right in front of the cab.
My WEB     
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 3:14pm
I just use the term kick cab or kick horn to describe a  mid-bass speaker playing just the region between about 90Hz and 400Hz.  Of course I feel the kick out side of these ranges, part of the kick drum sound is well into the midrange and sub.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
Philabean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philabean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 10:02pm
How your banpass reproduces the low kick will depend on the frequency of the drum. Drums are transient (there then gone quickly) the driver in your bandpass isn't producing much sound it is there to excite a resonanse in one or more chambers and that takes time, the drum hit may have passed before the resonanse has developed. Also because it develops late you just dont pay it much attention psychoacoustically (it becomes filtered out by your brain)
In my opinion band pass causes so much phase mess throughout the entire spectrum they are best avoided. 
You have never heard a good vocal sound when there is a band pass enclosure in the room, if you think you have you have never heard a good vocal sound!
 Post Reply Post Reply