Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gone full circle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2x18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gone full circle
    Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:09pm
Hi, well here we go again

just brought a pair of JBL 4770 cabs , ex hire in mint conditon 

is it better to use the 2x15"s full range up to 800  , or cut them off at 120hz and go up to the horn at 800 ?

im putting 2x double 18s under each one now xover at 120hz !

your comments are welcomed 

thanks

just a old dj
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:20pm
i would cross from 18" to 15" lower, i think about 80-90hz, depending on the drivers being used
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:23pm
I don't know the speakers in question, but i'd at least try the bottom xover point at 80 (cos the 15's will be fine down there) and raise the top xover point as high as the 15's can cope with, to lose the harshness of comps at lower freq's.
got any measuring facilities?
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:24pm
ha!, you beat me to it.

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
2x18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2x18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:25pm
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sound%20Power%204700%20Series/4770A.pdf

pair of these !!!
just a old dj
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:44pm
have a play around with the bottom crossover, as low as possible will reduce the unwanted harmonics of the 18" whilst potential compromising the upper mids from the 15".

when you lower the crossover make sure you aren't getting any harshness further up the register that could be avoided by bringing the crossover up.

if your using the built in passive crossover ignore this bit

from their wind up the crossover frequency from the mids to the tops until you find the 15"s either getting harsh or loosing presence, use lots of different source material.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:19pm
TeamRob2 has got 8 or something of these and has fiddled with his quite a lot. The low mid from these is awesome but those big old JBL horns are really harsh when pushed. I'm sure he'll share his settings if you ask nicely.

Presonally I'd take the drivers out and use it as a canoe though. I hear they're pretty seaworthy.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply