Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bad audio noise on macbook pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad audio noise on macbook pro
    Posted: 05 January 2010 at 8:45pm
Hi all

got a wee problem with the MBP, and I think you guys may be able to help Big smile

The internal soundcard has issues driving low impedance (hifi!) amplifiers, it cranks out noise almost equal to the volume of the music at full blast Dead

Is there anyway to lower the impedance of the input to the amplifier? Its a shielded minijack -> RCA connection .. ground loop thing? resistors? potentiometer?

Dont really want to buy an ext. soundcard :/

Thanks Big smile

Edited by subbass - 05 January 2010 at 8:54pm
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 8:54pm
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:33pm
sounds like you've been unlucky and got an iffy one, the internal soundcard on mine is better than the serato boxes!
4 ohms is for wimps
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:38pm
yeah, apple are notorious for bad batches here and there.. (QC doesnt seem to be that great all the time)

ill give applecare a call tomorrow Unhappy
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:43pm
really?? 

Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:51pm
Try headphones on it, whats it sound like then?
FSV Sounds
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:53pm
Are you sure you've not just damaged the socket somehow, such as pulling a 3.5mm jack at odd angles to the casing?

I've not heard of any 'common' issues with MacBook nor MacBook Pro internal soundcards.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 10:56pm
yeah, you wont believe the number of little issues I've had with various products of theirs - my iMac G5 had loads of little 'bugs', all firmware or hardware based. Then again it was practically a prototype Tongue

Bit p*ssed to spend this much on a damn computer for it not to be able to play audio consistently!

ps. About the bad batches, you obviously have never had to go onto their support forums Ouch !
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Are you sure you've not just damaged the socket somehow, such as pulling a 3.5mm jack at odd angles to the casing?

I've not heard of any 'common' issues with MacBook nor MacBook Pro internal soundcards.

Believe me, its not the cable or the socket :(

The noise starts when you turn the volume from MUTE to the lowest setting, even when nothing is output! Ie, when the internal circuitry is turned on

The amp works fine with every other source, pc mixer or ipod...

I found some stuff on the internet about impedence issues in some other macbooks, hence me taking this direction Ermm
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 5:07pm
If its a grounding loop issue its usually much louder when the charger is attached. Doesn't sound like what your experiencing though.
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

Hi all

got a wee problem with the MBP, and I think you guys may be able to help Big smile

The internal soundcard has issues driving low impedance (hifi!) amplifiers, it cranks out noise almost equal to the volume of the music at full blast Dead

Is there anyway to lower the impedance of the input to the amplifier? Its a shielded minijack -> RCA connection .. ground loop thing? resistors? potentiometer?

Dont really want to buy an ext. soundcard :/

Thanks Big smile

A hifi amp will have a relatively high input impedance, headphones are low impedance. Why do you think it has anything to do with the impedance of whats connected to it out of interest?

If you're getting noise equal to the signal my professional opinion is that something is shagged. Need more details really.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 6:45pm
just wrote a gurt big reply then deleted it Dead

turns out its an issue with some kind of internal gain in the soundcard. Its a firmware / hardware issue and is triggered by the low impedence presented by the amplifier, causing it to go haywire and triggering the static..

Was told the generic "use a ground loop isolator" by apple to sort the issue, but until they can have a look at it (not an option, need it for uni!) they cant do anything else.

so, have ordered a USB soundcard - output wasnt all that clean anyway :)
 Post Reply Post Reply