Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can it be done...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can it be done...?
    Posted: 25 January 2006 at 8:41am
Just for the fun of it, and to learn, I want something 'other' as sub in my Golf Cabrio Mk1.
Something with a horn preferrably. Design wise I like the rear-loaded horns best, but 'real' horns are also accepted.

I don't mind creating/designing someting myself. I'm limited to this space: 86 cm x 56 cm x 35 cm. Those are the max dimensions of the trunk.

I have a first design Soundstream SPL12 sub that I 'd like to use. My intention is not SPL, but SQ. Being a car install, the LP is set to 100 Hz MAX (might be even less). Flat curve as low as possible is preferred, but not an absolute requerement.

Now I'd like to learn the theory behind horn design... What parameters go where, speaker surface vs mouth, etc, etc..

If anyone can help me by pointing into the right direction(s), that would certainly help! Thanks!!
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2006 at 3:38pm

You should've probably posted this in the "Newbie Discussion" section, but I'll see what I can offer.  Plan on doing a bunch of reading.

For one, Check the "FAQ" and "Links" tabs on the front page.

http://www.speakerplans.com/

You'll want to down load "hornresp".  You can find a link on this page along with a lot of great information.  Greame is also a member here.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/ggoodacre/centauri/diy/

When you have questions, use the search function in the forum and you'll find a bunch of information.  All good stuff.

Jim

bartsegers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartsegers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 3:28pm

hey usa001 .... Toevallig uhm ook SYSér ?

haha, dan kun je hier een hoop opsteken!

USA001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 5:02pm
Yep!!

First trying to learn the theory, then build the thing!!!
bartsegers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartsegers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 6:00am

Hey USA. ig you want to maken an SQ subwoofer, you will probably have to forget an horn.

The problem is, that for low end output, say 30 hz. a very long horn is required.

There only one but; This theorie(which is true) will work, if the horn is used in an normal room/outdoor . But what when you put the horn in a very small enviroment? like a car?  Maybe then the length will be not the most important factor.

you can try and simulate this design from me.

Post Reply Post Reply