Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

comp talk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7567kelsall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: comp talk
    Posted: 18 March 2010 at 3:27pm
av been told that to get the best sound is to use a compressor is this so an how would you go about it Confused
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 3:13pm

Well,

The term "best sound" is somewhat subjective. From the point of view of a sound reproduction system your goal may be to reproduce the original signal but louder, in which case a compressor would alter the sound and there for you could summise that it has no sound improving benefit.

In reality, you may find it necessary to reduce the dynamic range of the input signal to meet the dynamic range of your system, this could be achieved by using a low threshold say -40dB and very low ratio say 1.25:1 that would give you an extra 10dB of dynamic range.

Or what many people do is use their compressor as a sort of soft limiter, fairly high threshold say -6dB and a ratio of 4:1, this would give you 24dBs between -6dB and 0dB effectively allowing you to run the system louder without fear of clipping.

Hope that helps and is also correct, that is my understanding any way.
7567kelsall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7567kelsall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 1:32pm
thanks for your help a will give it a whirlThumbs Up
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:19am
hey

not totally sure of the second paragraph of your compressor explanation.

A compressor's job is to pull town the loud parts of a signal. It reduces dynamic range of the signal that you are playing, whether used on an individual instrument to make it more consistent or the overall mixer output.

By bringing down the peaks and loud parts, you have a little more headrom and can then increase the average level of the music, even though the peaks will still be the same overall volume it will 'sound' louder because you have upped the average.

So yeah you actually decrease dynamic range, but in doing so can then make the average a little louder.

k
817718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 817718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:48pm
sorry

Edited by 817718 - 29 March 2010 at 5:51pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:51pm

Hi,
Ye that is basically what I said, You are reducing the dynamic range of the input signal to meet the dynamic range of your system.

Also I am not talking about the mix, I am talking about sound system, anything that happens in the mix is up to the mix engineer, nothing to do with my system, my systems job is to take the output of the mixer and reproduce that signal as accurately as possible at a higher level.
If possible my system should not alter the dynamic range of this signal at all. This isn’t always possible, due to the limitations of the equipment I use, in which case I can use a compressor to shrink the signal to fit my system. I try to do this in a way that is least destructive to the sound.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

hey

By bringing down the peaks and loud parts, you have a little more headrom and can then increase the average level of the music, even though the peaks will still be the same overall volume it will 'sound' louder because you have upped the average.

So yeah you actually decrease dynamic range, but in doing so can then make the average a little louder.

k

I often do this when playing back dance music, as more bass is a general crowd pleaser.

Edited by Speaker Sol - 29 March 2010 at 5:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply