Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The year was 1972! My first system.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The year was 1972! My first system.
    Posted: 03 April 2010 at 10:54pm
It was our sophomore year in high school, and we were one of the few that had a decent sound system as far as young kids went. Bottom cabs held two Altec-Lansing 421A's, and the upper cabs had the Altec 511 horn, 808-8A driver and N501 crossover. Powered by either a Shure vocal master PA head, or a Vox Beatle guitar amp, and Later by a McIntosh 2200 power amp and a Shure SR101 mixer.
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 4:56am
All top notch. I bet they sounded good through the amps especially the mcintosh 2200.
Serious valve amps and still rated to this day.   Back then  you probably could have bought a brand new car with that cash  & still would be worth a few grand today depending on condition.
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 4:24pm
Pretty good system for almost 40years ago,and still a whole lot better than most high-street budget chinese rubbish available today,so much for progress!

By the way,i dont think those bass drivers are 808-8a,they look more like chrome-dome 421's to me,but i could be mistaken.
Be seeing you.
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2010 at 10:59pm
Yep! Chrome-domes, which look as though they're mounted with wood screws passed through large washers?? 

A quite good DIY job though, and very typical of the systems of the time - I know 'cos that's the sort of thing that I was building and using around 1972-74, but mine had the Baker Auditorium drivers. 

Around where I lived back then, those who could afford the Altec or JBL drivers normally had Altec or JBL horn cabs rather than sealed boxes.  And the Sound City 120w valve amps were virtually the norm for driving them.

Another trip down memory lane for me, especially seeing the slim flared jeans and the white boot-socks!

Edited by Spuggy - 04 April 2010 at 11:26pm
"It's all been done before - it's just that you weren't around then".
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 7:43pm
The bass drivers were 421A's held on with, you guessed it, bolts and fender washers with T-Nuts on the back of the baffle board. The high frequency drivers were 808-8A's. That system drew a lot of stares wherever we set it up. It didn't take long for people who didn't know what the components were to figure out this was no "vocal master" system . We used this little system outdoors on a cruise ship one time. You could hear us from one end to the other.  :)

Edited by smithshorn - 05 April 2010 at 7:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply