Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

186 horn or USB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 186 horn or USB
    Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:58pm
Hey iv got 2 PD.186 drivers sittig here and cant decide what to put them in i was looking at more sub orientated designs but the majority of music played in this area now has canged from dubstep to psytrance, electro and the likes were the kick is more prominent...

So iv decdided that i should get or build one of these to mount the drivers in...

THere is still quite abit of dubstep and dnb played mind you so i would like it to hit the lower frequencies as best as possible as i cant afford to build or buy a sub and a bass box atm.I intend to build more in the future after so i dont mind it being a bit weak in the lower frequencies till iv buikd more.Iv also heard both these cabs can both hit lower frequencies pretty well if youv got enough of them... :)

So USB or 2x 186 horn?

thanks alot for listenng to my blabbering!
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:34pm
Or 2 x 205 litre reflex. 35 to 120 with ease.
It just is.
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 10:02pm
ahh didnt think about reflex...

Would it meet a midtop with a 12" driver in it??
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 10:59pm
Hell yes
There is a typo at the bottom, easy to spot.
Man did the job for us, long ago but makes sense still
It just is.
noislinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noislinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2010 at 1:14pm
if you want a system that will work evenly for most genre's and is going to be used mostly indoors then reflex (direct radiating) is the way forward.

if you want to do more gigs outdoors and think your more likely to have the psy/elctro, more than the dubstep/dnb then maybe a horn is the answer (certainly alot louder, and will give more detail, better dynamic range)

the 186 is likely to play lower than the usb and will work better as an all round bass horn. but then in most smaller indoor venues horns can do serious dammage to a venue and yet sound sht 5m back from the stack.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 8:26pm
oryt i thin a reflex would be a better idea then as it will mostly be used inside and if outwside not to too many people as itd mostl be for free parties...

so what kinda reflex design would be good? like the b&c sub 18 or what?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 8:52pm
It's in the link, 205 litre internal 150mm ports 303mm long
580 wide, 760 high 650 deep. Recess front panel by 30mm. One brace accross back in a cross about 100mm x 18

The above is about right.

It just is.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:10pm
haha sorry didnt see your posted it skipped it when i opened the page :S

cheers :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:17pm
just read the site it says a 180 litre capacity for pd.186? :S

oooops just read whole page.. sorry forbeing a twat! :L

Edited by Adam_Iron_Horse - 18 April 2010 at 9:19pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:43pm
The actual size of cab suggested in the article would be weird. The size I have put is a little deeper than a CVA cab, these are a nice size for stacking etc. Obviously porting is better as tuning of CVA's seems to be aimed at 50hz.

Actual CVA's below.

It just is.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 9:49pm
Actually there are some CVA's for sale somewhere on here, only MDf but if it's just a B rig. Extend the inner shelf (port) to about 260mm from the baffle (180 std) and they work very well. Bit of hole filling if you're mounting PDs'.
Edit. Found them
Bend his arm, grills, handles and speakons must come to £60?

Edited by The Builder - 18 April 2010 at 9:53pm
It just is.
 Post Reply Post Reply