Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

high eff’ drivers- favourites?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: high eff’ drivers- favourites?
    Posted: 14 February 2006 at 8:39pm

D.A.S. drivers : they seem nigh on impossible to get in the uk, but what do users think of them??

the 12bn is an amazing looking driver for midrange (with enough power) when simmed against the p-audio sn12b but nearly 3x the price.

*what i really want to know though is if the cone material is strong enough for a compression ratio of 5.1= was thinking 7.1 but worried about weird modal behaviuor and off axis resp with such restricted throat.

and this leads on to:

i have been asked to look into designing an "eco" sound system to run off wind, solar and pedal power, with a budget to match! so i want to find the most efficiant drivers ideally lowish rms rating and power compression loss but with high no's and ebp's for horn loading!! should be fun

*any suggestions for drivers, to look at from 1" through 6" to 18"(<probly give them a miss this time) even if relatively expensive??

thanks al

switch mode amps etc also

ps. seen the alpha 8mr / beyma 122nd / paudio e10-200a / paudio wn-d72 / 18sound 10nd610 / 18sound 6nd410 / and stupid price bms co-ax / selenium d330000ti etc not thinking lowthers here.. should i?

Edited by minaximal - 14 February 2006 at 8:42pm
mulch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 9:09am

What a lovely project to be handed man!!!

ps - cant remember where, but ive read very good things about the 8" fane studioM8 ... some guy had 6 of them in a heavy ply D cab (u know the ones... 2speaks face front, then 2speaks slightly angle both left and right of that front face... i think bose used a similar array in a famous cab... gawd knows... shoot me)

... looked lovely and apparently they kicked ass!!! dont know how available they are tho...

EDIT** i KNEW i was barkin up the wrong tree... forgot to acknowledge you were after drivers for horn loading!!!

Edited by mulch - 15 February 2006 at 9:11am
lower mid is where its at :]

... fixing fings ...
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2006 at 10:41am
nice rising response, could be usefull for hornloading but the smalls dont show it'd like being horn loaded..
Prosoundman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prosoundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2006 at 3:52am

Das drivers are brilliant. I have been using and selling them in the UK for the past 7yrs. I have been to the factory and they are hand made. If you need any help.....no prob

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Prosoundman Prosoundman wrote:

Das drivers are brilliant. I have been using and selling them in the UK for the past 7yrs. I have been to the factory and they are hand made. If you need any help.....no prob

are the coils hand-wound?

Edited by mykey - 22 February 2006 at 12:38am
loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 6:57am
Originally posted by minaximal minaximal wrote:

i have been asked to look into designing an "eco" sound system to run off wind, solar and pedal power

haha, typical stokey behaviour eh al?
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2006 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by loophole loophole wrote:

haha, typical stokey behaviour eh al?

yer stokey's where its at, its brilliant; wanky restuarants and stabbings everywhere, but this project is more from an ilford connection. i thought youd b doing the same in bristol anyhows, isnt that just a big stokey!?
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2006 at 4:41am

PEDAL POWER PA

used to be at Glastonbury maybe some one know's of them and can give you some tip's.

i think they used 150 watt's total and super efficiant true 40hz fibre glass horn's designed by Fred Davis i believe

Post Reply Post Reply