Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SW215E Low Mid cab, wich speakers ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raspix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SW215E Low Mid cab, wich speakers ?
    Posted: 18 June 2010 at 6:58pm
Hey all, 
I've been looking around for some good low mid cabs, and I found this:

It's said that RCF L15P200AK fit in there, put I can't seem to find them, so wich 15"s could go in there ?

Thanks !
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2010 at 7:28pm
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:14pm
looks interesting,
been thinking about what types of cabinet might be suitable for the Beyma 15MI100 recently which has an AES Power rating of 450watts together with an SPL of 1watt at 1m of 101dBA.
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/15MI100.pdf

Compared with the 95dBA, although capable of higher Power input, of the RCF 15", the Beyma looks like a viable alternative with the benefit of smaller power amps for the same SPL for Low Mid uses?
upper frequency range might be improved with the lighter cone as well, but with loss of low end

any thoughts from others?

Mik

Edited by audiomik - 18 June 2010 at 9:12pm
raspix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raspix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 2:29pm
interesting specs alright, other comments would be welcome !
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 3:43pm
the 15mi100 isn't much of a low frequency driver, should be really nice for a speaker on a stick but other than that its uses are somewhat limited.
The very low xmax rather prevents it from being usable in anything else that you wouldn't be better off with something smaller. for upper bass reinforcement you'll be wanting something else.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 5:26pm
Agreed, 15mi100 looks like it'd work well from 120hz-350Hz in a sealed box, high tuned reflex or horn loaded (in summat like an HD15, but a straight horn might be better suited). Doesn't look right for this design.

raspix - What frequency range do you mean when you say low mid? You might be interested in the Beyma SB15 or Davey T's bootybass design which are a bit similar to the design you posted, I wouldn't call them low mid cabs though.
raspix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raspix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 9:13pm
I'd like some lo mid to go between HOGs n surely mt130s PD121 loaded, or angled fane 2x12" high mid box, still 121 loaded. Just went by the bootybass, it's said to be a sub, could I still use it as a lo mid ? n wich speakers would fit for that use ?

thx for the answers !
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 12:59am
I tried simming the beyma in an 80Hz horn and the xmax went to daft levels verry quickly (though it did sim ruler flat up to 400 easily) a straight horn from as you say  ≩120 could be nice though the number of DIY high power bass bins that would do proper sub up to their and beyond to cross over nicely are few and far between, a tapped horn would be a contender for a nice 3 way set up i guess.

back to raspix, usbs ad hogs is a nice combination i've heard many times though es-18s are nicer imo they are a bit heavier and approximately  1/3rd again of the the volume of half a usb.

additionally if sheffield jungalist at some point has enough cash for the wood we are prototyping a martin 215-a-like which has the same footprint as two hogs side by side.

Edited by sKs01 - 21 June 2010 at 1:03am
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
raspix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raspix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 2:14am
okay found the plans, but would 18" usbs go high enough to meet the mid highs ? would idealy load em with fane 18XBs, would it do the work ?

Edited by raspix - 21 June 2010 at 2:19am
musicman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 2:56am
jbl 2226 would work well in this cab
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 7:12pm
you could use 18xb's though I'm not sure how the results would sound, we use es18's crossed to mt122's and the combination gives really powerful low mid and really bloody loud mid and top.
 Post Reply Post Reply