Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on fitting a system in a Camper Van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on fitting a system in a Camper Van
    Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:20am
I am currently converting my Luton van into a Camper so I can go travelling in it for extended periods of time and, fingers crossed, live quite comfortably. Before I finalise all of the design I wanted to have a think about fitting sound in the back.

Now I have got two options and not sure which one is the best to do :

Do I fit a car head unit, and stick with products specially designed to be used in a car

...or...

A small little 12v system using any type of components, like a little 12v rig.

It will obviously be running for a leisure battery, but the same battery will be powering the lighting, sink and anything else that is needed. Is a 150ah battery so will need to be as efficient as possible but would also like the sound to be quite good. Will be playing a lot of reggae and dub, but then also acoustic folk and pretty much everything thing else I can chuck at it.

Not too sure where the input will be running from just yet, CD player would be pretty good but then that uses up more power than an iPod. But then an iPod will need to be charged? Guess this is a separate problem. Am thinking about putting a solar panel on the roof to trickle charge the batteries but they are also connected up to the alternator.

There is the space to build a small bass bin if required and the mid and highs can be positioned else where.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Cheers
mrchay View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2010 at 11:00am

ipod can run forever from a smallish solar panel / battery, as can a portable CD player.

car head units aren't super efficient. 

The tripath amplifiers are very efficient (80% or so) and there is a cheap board available on ebay that does 4x 100w out at 4ohm.

suggest for bass build a reflex box tuned about 50-60hz with 2 car type subs (will be 4 ohm).

mid tops easiest option is to get car speakers again, the ones with the tweeters built in.

Post Reply Post Reply